Author Topic: 3 or 3D?  (Read 2544 times)

terry13111

3 or 3D?
« on: June 11, 2017, 05:06:18 PM »
Hello. I am looking at getting a model 3 from Smokin-it and was wondering if the digital model(3D) is worth the extra $200.

According to what I have read, the regular version has a +/- of 25 degrees, the digital +/- 3 degrees. I will be using it to make Venison summer sausage, snack sticks and who knows what other roads I might go down with wild game. So basically, will the difference in consistent temperature control matter much for what I want to do?

EFGM

Re: 3 or 3D?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum! While I'm not experienced in what you are wanting to smoke I believe a have always read for those items a consistent temp (perhaps low?) is required as the high fluctuations are not helpful for those types of meat. I'll bet you can use the search feature if you don't hear from someone who also does the types your looking at. Personally, I would go with the 3D! Again welcome!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 06:52:12 PM »
Save your $200 I have no issues with my #3 and I make a good bit of sausage.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 11:32:34 PM »
The PID version will certainly give you a more stable hold on your temperature but a 5 hour smoke will still be a five hour smoke whether analog with temperature swings or the PID. I like the PID because the unit for monitoring the internal temperature of large cuts is built in. But it is a personal preference.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Greenenvey

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 11:53:16 PM »
I have both and the 3D is my favorite, if you have the extra cash that's what I would choose. If not the standard 3 is fantastic too.
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

JustChillin

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 07:31:21 AM »
I had the same decision to make and went with the #2 over the 2D. I later ordered an Auber PID for using when slow smoking fish. ( http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=381 ). I am perfectly happy with having the option to go analog or digital.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:53:15 PM »
I have the #2 and have no regrets in not having the D.  I've successfully smoke salmon and halibut or something like that, but those are the only low-temp smokes I've done so far.  I suppose one could always use the D as if it were the analog, but I really like the simplicity.  (Ironically, I'm a professional computer geek, so it's not a fear/skill issue.)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...