Author Topic: Probes Fraying  (Read 3268 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Probes Fraying
« on: June 01, 2017, 06:16:49 PM »
Has anyone else had a problem with the wire mesh fraying on their temperature probes?  They're still working just fine, but I have to be careful handling them so that I don't get poked.  I've treated them gently for the ~6 months I've had them. 
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Probes Fraying
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »
Larry, I haven't heard of that before.  The wire mesh probes are for the stand alone Auber?  Are they fraying where they connect to the probe or plug or are they fraying along the length? I would call Auber and explain it to them if it is still under warranty. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 08:07:14 PM »
No, these are the ones for the Maverick meter...  they're nice replacement ones that Steve sent me about a week after I got my smoker because the probes that came with the meter were wildly inaccurate.

Larry, I haven't heard of that before.  The wire mesh probes are for the stand alone Auber?  Are they fraying where they connect to the probe or plug or are they fraying along the length? I would call Auber and explain it to them if it is still under warranty.
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:55:30 PM »
My error.  Pretty good of Steve to get those for you.  I don't know if he has more stashed away or not.  I would contact Maverick.  In the mean time, see the link I posted under gadgets and gizmos. Thermoworks has good stuff, pricey, but good.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
Larry, I've heard of people shrink tubing them where the wire meets the probe.  I don't see why you could'nt cover up your frayed spot with some small shrink tube. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 11:20:50 PM »
That sounds like a pretty good idea both to protect the probes and my hands...  thanks!

Larry, I've heard of people shrink tubing them where the wire meets the probe.  I don't see why you could'nt cover up your frayed spot with some small shrink tube.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:25:28 PM »
If I get to a place where I need to replace the Maverick then I'll definitely check out the Thermoworks.  The Maverick is a little clunky in some ways, but since getting reliable probes it has served me really well.

I just checked on the Smokin-It site...  I was surprised I couldn't find any replacement probes for sale.  Do probes tend to be brand specific or are they generally standardized?

My error.  Pretty good of Steve to get those for you.  I don't know if he has more stashed away or not.  I would contact Maverick.  In the mean time, see the link I posted under gadgets and gizmos. Thermoworks has good stuff, pricey, but good.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 02:18:03 PM »
They are brand specific and sometimes model specific.  I bought my Maverick replacement probes from Amazon.  They have them in 3' and 6' as well as offering a waterproof probe. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah