Author Topic: First brisket in 3D - fail  (Read 2871 times)

Kennr

First brisket in 3D - fail
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »
I ruined my first brisket. Pure creosote flavor on the bark. Basically followed the recipe in the Lazy Q booklet. 225 set to 190 internal. I thought I used a conservative amount of wood, 6oz of post oak from Fruita Wood. 12lb brisket. After 14 hrs the IT was only up to 180. I pulled it and rested in cooler. The flat was overcooked and dry. But the creosote was the killer. I plan to cook a small pork tenderloin with no wood. Next time 1 pc of wood, etc, until I figure out the results with less wood.
Kenneth
Plano,Tx
3D
Oklahoma Joe stickburner

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: First brisket in 3D - fail
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 08:19:14 PM »
I would have run it as high as possible in the smoker and not have that large pan on the bottom shelf. Hope the next one is better.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Kennr

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »
Thanks Brian. I can see there is going to be a learning curve. I'm amazed at how little wood can make so much smoke!
Kenneth
Plano,Tx
3D
Oklahoma Joe stickburner

MTSmokin

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:38:20 PM »
I am also very new to the electric smoker/3D experience.  In some of my cooks I didn't use wood with the higher moisture content like that provided in the sampler that came with the unit.  On those cooks the smoke flavor was more bitter or creosote like.  During those cooks I noticed that the smoke did not smell sweet but bitter.  I suspect that the wood caught fire rather than smoldered.  My one and only 3D brisket was a Costco 12 pound Prime packer (after trimming fat).  Cooked at 225 with a mini loaf pan of water at the bottom touching the smoke box.  It took 18 hours to get to 195ish on the second to top rack.  My flat was a little dry but the point was just right.  I used 6+ ounces of pecan.  The smoke was mild to medium and the block of wood was not completely ash.

I was thinking that next time I would either cook the flat and point as two separate pieces of meat from the start which should result in more bark (that's the best part right?), shorter cook time, and being able to pull each piece as it is ready.  Or separate the two pieces around 160 to finish separately.  I have also been considering putting it in an aluminum pan with just enough water to cover the bottom and covering loosely with foil to maintain moisture.

Let us know what you did and how it turned out next time.  With all of us working together I know we can get these dialed in faster.
Mark in the northern BBQ desert

3D, Traeger, Weber gas & charcoal
In search of great BBQ without working all day or night to get there

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 10:41:09 AM »
I've done three briskets in my #2 now and every one of them has come out unbelievably good.  I have brined all of them and I think this is an essential step.  I can see a physical difference in the meat after brining for as little as an hour.

I have an old frothing pitcher that I use for water... I fill it half full and stick it right next to the firebox.  I never use foil for anything other than to cover the lid of the firebox, the floor of the firebox (with a few holes poked open), and the floor of the smoker.

I'm surprised to hear that you're getting a bitter creosote flavor...  I suspect you're correct about the wood combusting.  Otherwise, are you just putting the brisket in and leaving it until the IT hits 190 without opening it during the smoking process?

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Kennr

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »
Yes sir, did not peek until 12 hrs had elapsed and the IT of the point was at 170. I also had the mini-loaf pan of apple juice next to the wood box. I notice the heating element gets the cabinet up to 225 pretty quick. I was thinking of starting it at lower temp for the first few hours, then gradually bring it up to cooking temp, to see if the wood will smoke more slowly rather than combust. How much wood have you been using? I guess I need to start with 1 small chunk to establish a baseline and work up from there.
Kenneth
Plano,Tx
3D
Oklahoma Joe stickburner

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 03:49:43 PM »
Do some experimenting with temps and wood placement with no meat in the smoker to learn the hot spots. If you have a chip screen, try using it. Mine is in 100% of the time. I use 8 ounces for a packer brisket.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 06:01:10 PM »
I have brined all of them and I think this is an essential step

Not necessary trust me. Out of every 20 briskets typically 2 will be average or poor. If you make ten briskets and the one you didn't brine is less desirable than the others it might not be because you didn't brine it.

I am not saying you don't improve your finished product, I just know it is not essential. 
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud