Author Topic: brisket fitting in model 2?  (Read 3509 times)

tholee

brisket fitting in model 2?
« on: April 23, 2017, 11:47:58 PM »
Hi All,

This will be my second time cooking a brisket in my model 2.  The first time was just the point of a brisket. Now, I am planning to smoke a whole brisket.  Do I need to cut it to fit into my smoker?  I am planning on getting a 14-17lb brisket. 

Thanks in advance.

JustChillin

Re: brisket fitting in model 2?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 06:59:06 AM »
I had to cut the last one that I cooked in my #2. It worked out fine.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Walt

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:27:18 AM »
You can stuff it in, they shrink substantially. I've done it both ways. I have stuffed quite a few 15 to 18lb whole packers in with great success. You can also put an empty can under the center of the meat to push the center up and draw the ends in, so its not quite as long.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
Do I need to cut it to fit into my smoker?  I am planning on getting a 14-17lb brisket. 

Yes.  Twelve pounds is about the largest I've been able to fit into my #2 uncut.  That said, I cut an ~18 lb brisket and it came out absolutely delicious so don't let the cut scare you.

[Edit - looked up some advice I got from SconnieQ when I did my cut and adding it below]

"If cutting it in half, place the flat fat-side-up on the top rack. Place the point fat-side-down on a rack below. The point will shield the flat from the more intense heat. My target temps are 195 in the flat, and 200-205 in the point. With this two-shelf arrangement, they seem to get to their target temps around the same time."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:20:44 AM by LarryD »
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

tholee

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 01:12:25 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies.  I just bought a 14lb brisket from Costco.  It is about 18 inches which means I will put it in diagonally.  Will let you all know how it turns out.

tsax6010

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »
I usually trim some of the flat meat to get it to just barely fit on the rack. The trimmings I vacuum seal and freeze to grind for future burgers when I have collected enough to grind and mix with other chuck and sirloin cuts.

I grind the meat in an almost frozen state along with frozen small Irish butter cubes (salted butter) to add some more flavorful fat.
- Dana
NE Ohio
Smokin-It Model 2, Lion Premium Grills L90000

Walt

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 10:36:48 AM »
This is a 17lb brisket stuffed in to my #2. I have actually done larger without cutting. Santa on the Bayou is tonight. So, when he arrives i will ply him with brisket sandwiches.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

TX Gent

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 11:25:50 AM »
Walt is the fat side up your preferred way to position an uncut larger brisket in the #2? Curious if you've tried fat side down when it's kind of scrunched up. Thinking about heat coming up from bottom and using the fat to insulate the meat.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
Walt is the fat side up your preferred way to position an uncut larger brisket in the #2? Curious if you've tried fat side down when it's kind of scrunched up. Thinking about heat coming up from bottom and using the fat to insulate the meat.
People are probably tired of hearing me repeat myself but I go fat cap down and layer the top with thinly trimmed fat scrap so that the brisket is a fat sandwich.  I have not had a bad brisket since first trying this method. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Walt

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »
I have tried both ways & I dont believe it makes a bit of difference. Then again, I brine my briskets (even Prime). Maybe for those who dont, it would be relevent. Also, i dont trim much if any. If there is a hard spot of fat it gets removed but nothing else. The picture indicated is a brined (2 days), air dryed (on wire rack in fridge for another 3 days), Pime 17lb packer. There is nothing left. Santa and his crew were like vultures.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:33:20 AM by Walt »
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill