Author Topic: Freezing pastrami?  (Read 5055 times)

hunt0168

Freezing pastrami?
« on: April 10, 2017, 07:45:33 PM »
I made a couple pastramis from store bought point cut corned beef. Local grocery store was selling pretty cheap after St Pat's day so I bought a few. I soaked them in water for a few days to pull the salt out. Rubbed em with a traditional pepper/ corriander rub and let them hang out in fridge for 24 hrs uncovered. I smoked em with ash/alder mix at 235 to an IT of 165f. I let them rest overnight in fridge and steamed one to an IT of 203f today after work. Came out awesome!

I want to freeze the second one but not exactly sure if I should or when. Has anybody made pastrami and froze it to be used at a later date? If it can be frozen without a problem, when is the best time to freeze?

Should it go into the freezer now and then get steamed after it has been thawed? Or does the steaming need to be done before it gets frozen for some reason?
Bob - Central New York
I have canine teeth...I'm gonna eat meat!

Joe Rinaldi

Re: Freezing pastrami?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 06:22:27 AM »
I'm planning on doing the same thing.  Interested to see what people have to say.  I once got some moose pastrami from a friend.  It was frozen.  I thawed it out and steamed it.  It was awesome but I have no idea what the processor had done with it prior to being frozen.   Lets hope some people chime in on this one. 
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »
I freeze and vacuum pack mine. It'll work great. You can also zip lock but it won't keep as long. Buying corned beef a SP day is what I do too. Can't beat the price.  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

coachB

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »
Bob is right.  Vacuum pack and freeze.  Thaw then steam.  Comes out great.  And definitely grab the post-Paddy sales.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC