Author Topic: Maxine's Makeover!! Pic Heavy  (Read 5317 times)

RG

Maxine's Makeover!! Pic Heavy
« on: April 09, 2017, 02:23:10 AM »
 I know I haven't been very active on here as of late. I lurk and don't post because frankly, I've had nothing to post! I don't cook nearly as much as I used to, on any of my cookers. I go through phases. Now that it's warm I am sure that I'll be more involved with cooking. What I HAVE been doing lately is tinkering with motorcycles. I made a post about getting my wife and I some bikes : http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6026.0

As I stated in that post, I wanted to "clean" my bike up a bit. Compared to hers it was really dull. So I slowly did what I wanted to do. I got most of it done yesterday (Saturday 4/8/17) and today I will install the exhaust I bought for it. It's REALLY quiet to be such a brute of a motorcycle. Around where I live, the old adage "Loud Pipes Save Lives" is apropos. The only thing I will have left after installing the exhaust is to install tank emblems back on the bike and a little rubber "seal" that goes between the tank and the instrument cover. I have to find it first, it seems to have come up missing for the SECOND time, I think my wife may have tossed it out mistakenly  ::) Then it'll just a detail session to bring out her new found exuberance :P

Here's what she looked like before, not bad really, just had some finish issues with the rear wheel and the fenders and tank also had damaged finishes due to the previous owner applying some very harsh stuff to it in the name of waxing it. I couldn't take it anymore!

I have since installed a mini windscreen, powder coated the side scoops by the tank, powder coated the sissy bar the same color as the scoops, powder coated the wheels a cool charcoal metallic color, painted both fenders and tank, installed new bearings in both wheels, new "wave style" rotors, new tires, new tail led tail light, a cell phone/gps holder/charger, and lastly (for now) will be the full exhaust. It's hard to tell from garage photos, but she is shiny as a new penny! Once she gets the exhaust, I will detail her with some Top Coat F11 and take some glamour shots out in the sun so the metallic in the paint and powder coating POP.

Here are some pics to bring y'all up to speed AND serve as a way for me to document my little project.

Here she is after being torn down. I ended up taking the other part of the seat off as well to run a cable to the battery for the cell phone holder.

Here's what the sissy bar and scoops looked like prior to powder coating, the scoops had some minor blemishes but the sissy bar's clear coat had worn totally off and looked fuzzy.

Here the scoops after powder coating

Sissy bar assembled and back on the bike after powder coating

Wheels after PC

New "wave" rotors installed

New Rubber

Front fender and tank at my painters

Various pics (in poor lighting) of Maxine in her new clothes, lol (Minus new exhaust)

I will edit this post once I get her "DONE done". Thanks for letting me bore you with this, lol.
Jason from Conyers GA

EFGM

Re: Maxine's Makeover!! Pic Heavy
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:39:14 AM »
Awesome! Not as awesome as Brisket, buy then I have Brisketitus! You and the Mrs. be safe out there! Great update!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

RG

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 08:53:26 AM »
Awesome! Not as awesome as Brisket, buy then I have Brisketitus! You and the Mrs. be safe out there! Great update!

Well, here's you some brisket then  :P

We'll be safe, it's the people that don't look out for riders that I am worried about!
Jason from Conyers GA

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »
Nice work on both!!!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

volscrazy65

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 10:46:14 AM »
Beautiful bike!  I've always thought the V Max looked good.  What year is it?
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

RG

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »
Beautiful bike!  I've always thought the V Max looked good.  What year is it?

Thanks John, she's an old girl. 1999, but only has 7800 miles on her. I am in the middle of exchanging the exhaust right now. As luck would have it, I need a stinking 1/2" extension and can't find one! Off to the store I go :P
Jason from Conyers GA

1stlink

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 12:50:05 PM »
L00kin good Jason.. wheels & meals  ;)

volscrazy65

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »
I've rode dirt bikes since I was a teen but always wanted a street bike.  The cars scare me way more than trees and rocks.  I sold my last dirt bike about 8 months ago.  At the kinda old age of 51, I'm really thinking about getting a Honda Fury.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

EFGM

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 09:32:10 AM »
Now that is Screen Licking Goodness!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

ibbones

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 11:43:22 AM »
Great looking bike.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

RG

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 12:59:40 PM »
I got the exhaust finished up a little bit ago, hopefully it's on right, lol! It was a PAIN taking the old one off. I can't even start her up to hear how she sounds, not enough juice in the battery. I wasn't smart enough to leave it hooked up to the battery tender for the last 3-4 weeks that I've had her apart :(

It looks good though!

I'll clean her up and apply the tank emblems then take some glamour shots of her ;)
Jason from Conyers GA

RG

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 04:48:34 PM »
She's still not washed and waxed but I did roll her outside and rode her down the road. She sounds mean! I'm real happy with how she turned out.

Here's a very poor quality movie of her new exhaust note. Crappy phone doesn't do it justice. It's louder than stock but it's not TOO loud. Take a look and tell me what you think.

https://youtu.be/7WpUWQgOSLQ
Jason from Conyers GA

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »
The carbon fiber is a nice touch
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

RG

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 07:02:15 PM »
The carbon fiber is a nice touch

Thanks, I teetered back and forth on whether to go chrome or CF. I think I made the right choice.
Jason from Conyers GA

ibbones

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »
I think it sounds great.  And I agree...carbon fiber.  Makes it stand out.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D