Author Topic: Wood not very burnt after seasoning  (Read 8760 times)

volscrazy65

Wood not very burnt after seasoning
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:22:38 AM »
I followed the instructions for seasoning, 250 for 4 hours.  I'm not sure the wood is burnt as much as it should be.  There is still some brown on the pieces.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Wood not very burnt after seasoning
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »
No worries John, the seasoning has taken place. If you are worried about getting wood that is more burnt up, try smaller pieces. I take Smokinlicious wood and use and hatchet to make smaller cuts.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

volscrazy65

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »
No worries John, the seasoning has taken place. If you are worried about getting wood that is more burnt up, try smaller pieces. I take Smokinlicious wood and use and hatchet to make smaller cuts.

I really don't know what I need the wood to look like.  I've see lots of people say they had nothing but ash left in the box. 
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »
One thing you might try is turning the smoker on at 250 and drop a thermometer probe down the smoke stack and see if it comes up to that temp.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »
I would consider that an unacceptable burn IMO.  Put the wood box in the smoker and show us a front shot of the box and how high it is riding over the element.  Either the element isn't coming up to temperature or the smoke box isn't positioned correctly.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »
I would consider that an unacceptable burn IMO.  Put the wood box in the smoker and show us a front shot of the box and how high it is riding over the element.  Either the element isn't coming up to temperature or the smoke box isn't positioned correctly.

I agree... something isn't right there.  Those chunks should either come out as ash or pure black charcoal.

Example:
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 06:54:36 PM »
Over time, I have learned that placement directly on the holes has lead to better smolder on the chunks. I had a few smokes at the beginning that didn't have much black on the chunks. I also learned where the hot spots were on the burner (middle hottest, back next hottest) and have placed my wood in that area. Now, with placement and using smaller chunks of wood I'm getting black charcoal and some/complete ash.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

volscrazy65

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 09:38:30 PM »
The element and guard around the element are not in the center so the wood box is not centered.  With the V shape of the bottom (floor), it makes the box tilt a little and that makes one side of the box farther away from the element.  The side that is farther from the element is the same side of the wood that was still a little brown.  I can push the wood box over toward the center and it makes everything more level.  That would just make the guard and element over to one side of the wood box.  I could also just put my wood chunks over to the side.  I know I could bend the guard over but I'm not sure about bending the element, kinda doubt it.   
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 12:06:29 AM »
Someone else that has a 'D' model, please translate the following question to something more intelligible and useful.  :)

Did you have the PID turned off / overridden during the seasoning?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Donmac

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »
My 3D element was like that also when I received it. I gently bent the element so that it was straight. Now it is centered under the smoke box.
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
Granted, I have a different model but my wood box rests on the strap around the element.  The gap that you have looks excessive.  Can anyone else with his model confirm?

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »
I just checked my 3D and the box support relative to the element looks pretty much the same as in John's photo but not as severe.  Admittedly I have used mine a lot and so the support may have gotten a tad bent.  I will say that when I use mine, after I slide the box on I do my best to ensure that it appears centered; that the support looks centered through the box opening. I would caution against bending the element.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

volscrazy65

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 10:49:13 PM »
I did a second seasoning Friday and my first smoke Sunday.  I made sure to push the wood box over towards the middle and both times the wood burned a lot better and looked like it's supposed too.  Thanks guys.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

JustChillin

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 07:23:32 AM »
How was Sunday's smoke?
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

volscrazy65

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 08:43:11 AM »
How was Sunday's smoke?
I wasn't sure were to post this so I put it in the Pork section of the forum.

I started with a 6 lb butt from Sam's and used Divot's brine for 10 hrs.  I set my 3D to 225 and cut off at 195.  Fired it up at 7 am with 4 oz of hickory and 2 oz of cherry (Smokinlicious).  I used a pan of water and put the butt high in the smoker.  I was planning on maybe 12 hrs but it took 17.5 to reach 190 so I was pulling pork at like 2 in the morning!  I've read on here that smaller cuts take longer, no idea why, but that long?  It came out great, very good bark and moist.  The only complaint other than taking forever is there wasn't very much of a smoke taste, none on the deep meat.  Please advise.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200