Author Topic: Who saves their brine?  (Read 2016 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Who saves their brine?
« on: March 29, 2017, 10:21:53 AM »
Having read that Stout was using his brine for a second meat soak, it got me to wondering if anyone is saving their brine, i.e. freezing it or getting more than one use out of it?  I was always leery about absorbing bacteria into the sloppy seconds soak.  I'd love to start pouring the brine off into a freezer bag and reusing it if others have been doing this all along. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Grampy

Re: Who saves their brine?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 10:51:38 AM »
Having read that Stout was using his brine for a second meat soak, it got me to wondering if anyone is saving their brine, i.e. freezing it or getting more than one use out of it?  I was always leery about absorbing bacteria into the sloppy seconds soak.  I'd love to start pouring the brine off into a freezer bag and reusing it if others have been doing this all along.

I would never reuse a brine after it has been used for the exact same reason as you mentioned. Too big of a chance of cross contamination. Brine is cheap and easy to make to risk it.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

ibbones

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »
I would not condone anyone from doing it but I do not think I would. 
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

stout

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:55:05 AM »
this is what i figured.. it was going from pork to chicken.. neither can be undercooked

i mean i like my steaks rare but not my pork or chicken

the cooking process of both those meats will, as is intended brine or no, kill any bacteria

i would not for example go from pork or chicken to beef or fish

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »
I have never used brine for multiple brines and one not consider doing it in the future.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Limey

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »
Brine is so quick and cheap to make-why take any risks on reusing it. I never have.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 11:14:44 PM »
+1  I doubt a re-use is a good idea
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 06:28:33 PM »
I think it is an awesome idea. Think of the savings, kosher salt and sugar are so expensive.

This is a greet idea, just thinking about my next dinner floating around in a diluted saline and meat juice slurry makes me want to start smoking.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud