Author Topic: Smoking corned beef looking for tips and pointers  (Read 2285 times)

stout

Smoking corned beef looking for tips and pointers
« on: March 11, 2017, 04:42:53 PM »
i've never tried smoking corned beef before
i know most people say let it sit in water over night to take out some of the saltiness

i have two 3.5 pound point cut corned beefs.

do i treat them like brisket? set to 225 take them out when they hit 185 wrap in foil let sit for an hour or two?

or are there other better tricks of the trade?

ARmike

Re: Smoking corned beef looking for tips and pointers
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
Stout I bought and extra corned beef to smoke also.  I guess we should just treat it as a small brisket as that is what it is.  The soak sounds good to me because as it shrinks it will concentrate the salt.  My wife boils her corned beef befor baking it.  The water is great for boiling the cabbage and vegies.  She doesnt like smoked meats,  :o, so I am getting a lot of leftovers and office staff like my smoker a lot.  I bought the point cut also, more fat.
Mike from Mountain Home, AR
Love to cook for my wife(empty nest), kids
Live to dive, Dive to live (scuba)
#2, weber kettle, char-broil infrared three burner. Oh, two burner on pontoon(gas)
Woo Pig Soooie

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 05:07:10 PM »
Mike, be sure to have a pastrami burger 🍔 before you start giving leftovers away.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

stout

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »
my wife likes to normally cook our corned beef in the slow cooker cause it intensifies the flavors

then yes she uses that water to boil potatoes and cabbage

though sometimes instead the gets a different double duty out of that water.. she uses it to slow cook a regular cut up brisket..puts a nice flavor in to it

ARmike

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »
Ill have about 4 of them SD.  Im looking forward to this.  My wife just looks at me when Im excited about smoking and says "God your simple".  I say correct, I am and its the simple things one comes to love.  So lay it on me baby.......after I check these temps.  ::) ::)
Mike from Mountain Home, AR
Love to cook for my wife(empty nest), kids
Live to dive, Dive to live (scuba)
#2, weber kettle, char-broil infrared three burner. Oh, two burner on pontoon(gas)
Woo Pig Soooie

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 06:58:58 PM »
Reubens, burgers and hash usually take all I've got.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah