Author Topic: Troubleshooting Question  (Read 2293 times)

PAHuntAndEat

Troubleshooting Question
« on: April 23, 2017, 02:34:51 PM »
Hi,
I have posted on the forum a few times about really long cook times. I'm not sure if my experiences are typical or if there is an issue. I'm unfortunately starting to think there is an issue. Today i tried to smoke salmon and chicken breast in the #1. About 5lbs of meat all together. I put in 3.5 oz of wood and set it at 175. I let it go for about 1.5 hours then checked on it to find no smoke. I opened the door to check an analog oven thermometer to find the internal temp <150 degrees and the wood lightly blackened. The smoke box was cool enough to pull out by hand and open. i had some cheap big box store wood in there. i thought perhaps that was the issue so i added some of the best wood i had in and took the other stuff out. I closed the door and Turned the unit off then turned it back on to 200.  About 15 minutes later it began smoking but only lasted a few minutes. I let it go for another hour with very little smoke. i opened the door to check on things to find the internal temp at 150 and the new wood showing some discoloration but clearly not smoking.

Just now i turned the temp up to 225 hoping to not completely ruin this meal. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Id appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Does this sound like an issue with my #1 or am i doing something wrong. I know that i should not be opening the door during a smoke but did so only because i suspected an issue. Thanks for reading
Dee from PA Mountains
SI#1

PAHuntAndEat

Re: Troubleshooting Question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 02:41:26 PM »
I just read the temperature adjustment sticky after posting this. i'm wondering if that could be the fix. Maybe my dial is set too low and needs to be adjusted higher for more accurate temperature
Dee from PA Mountains
SI#1

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »
You obviously have an issue, I hope the adjustment works. That salmon is leaching out protein (the white stuff). Typically that is an indication it is done. You don't mention any internal temps on the meat.

I would be cautious with extended periods of time in a warm, not hot smoker with fish and chicken especially.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
When you try to smoke as low as 175 many have experienced the same issues when trying to use chunks.  Chips, pellets or dust would be better for smoke generation. 

My analog control has wild temperature swings, as high as 40 - 50 degrees.  Where in the swing you measure your temperature is anyone's guess.  A fulltime probe in the box would give you a better indication of what your high and low temps are. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:13:10 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah