Author Topic: smoking at 135 degrees  (Read 3086 times)

estan

smoking at 135 degrees
« on: February 27, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
I am having a hard time attempting to smoke sausages at 135 in my Model 4. I have purchased an Amaze maze but I am unable to keep it smoking' it goes out after a few minutes. I just tried putting chips in the smoker box on foil with no success. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: smoking at 135 degrees
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 03:30:13 PM »
Did you happen to see this post?

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6042.msg56274;topicseen#msg56274

These are the tips that I have found that have helped me the most with the A-MAZE-N cold smokers.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »
What type of device are you using to light your pellets? If you are using anything less than a propane torch like the one I suggested in the above link, I would upgrade.

If you are using a good propane torch and are still having problems, my guess is that the problem is either not enough air flow or your pellets may be too moist.

Air flow can be resolved by a number of different methods. If you have a Jerky Dryer (which you should if you are smoking sausage) you can add that on top of your smoker. I haven't tried this yet, but I have been thinking about adding couple of pencils or some other means of raising the jerky dryer up so it is not directly on top of the smoker, because I don't really want to have all of the power or the jerky dryer pulling that much air through the smoker.  The reason that I say this, is because in the past when I have tried this with the dryer right on top of the smoker, my pellets seemed to actually catch fire and burn way tooooo fast. So, my thought is to reduce the effectiveness of the jerky dryer by raising it up a little higher than the smoke hole. Like I said, I have not tried this yet. But, the logic seems sound to me.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

estan

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »
Thanks a bunch. I have been using a propane torch but didn't think to remove the drip tray for added air. Not sure how I missed you pics in the forum.

I'm going to go out and do a test run now. Thanks again.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 10:32:04 AM »
Even with all the air I have in a model 4 I have difficulty keeping pellets lit. Sawdust works great for me in the maze.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

estan

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 03:31:20 PM »
Thanks for the tip Dave....