Author Topic: Saint Patrick's Corned Beef  (Read 3654 times)

JustChillin

Saint Patrick's Corned Beef
« on: February 24, 2017, 06:31:12 PM »
Just thinking! With Saint Patrick's day being less than a month away, I thought I would ask for any suggestions for smoking corned beef in an SI? Please share any success stories and disasters to avoid. Happy smoking!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Saint Patrick's Corned Beef
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:35:47 PM »
Think brisket flat but cured. I soak the corned beef in water overnight to draw out the saltiness. Mustard and your rub. I use the spice pack in the corned beef pack and grind it as part of my rub.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

coachB

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:09:47 PM »
Wouldn't corned beef that is smoked after mustard and rub then be pastrami?
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »
Wouldn't corned beef that is smoked after mustard and rub then be pastrami?
Bingo! And makes one heck of a good Reuben!

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 12:42:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion of doing an overnight soak. I have cooked some in the past that were too salty.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

coachB

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »
Dave,
That's just my point.  Personally I prefer pastrami to corned beef.  The OP seems to think he needs to smoke a corned beef to get corned beef.  We know this is not the case, that if the piece of meat (beef) is corned then the process for corned beef is complete.  It does not need to be smoked, it would then become another animal entirely.
For the OP--just buy a corned beef (prepackaged), soak as Dave said,  cook as per directions, add cabbage and boiled potatoes, Guinness, and enjoy the day.
Just as an FYI, corned beef and cabbage is not really an Irish thing.  My folks were from Ireland and didn't know about corned beef under coming here.  Beef in Ireland was too expensive and limited for consumption by the general populace.  Beef was in a dairy cow and that was cared for, not consumed.  Meat in Ireland was generally pig or sheep.

coachB

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »
Dave from Roswell (to differentiate from SuperDave),

If you are going to do an overnight soak, put the container in the fridge.

JustChillin

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
Coach - I will be soaking it in the fridge. I also agree that corned beef and cabbage is an american dish prepared on Saint Patrick's day. I spent a couple of weeks cruising the Shannon river seven years ago the food was just OK. We went back and spent last September traveling to Northern Ireland then worked our way down the coast to the Aran Islands. This time to food was excellent with some really good restaurants. one thing that was constant was that the people are welcoming and wonderful. Love the people and the scenery.

coachB

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
Dave,

I am in agreement on the friendliness of the people and the beauty of the country.  I am surprised you found a number of good restaurants.  Generally speaking the method of preparing food is to overcook everything.  I think it goes back to the old timers who did it because it was a way to extend food that was past it's "expiration date".  Overcooking was more from necessity.

One of the world's shortest books:
            "Fine Cuisine of the Emerald Isle"

JustChillin

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »
Coach,

We were pleasantly surprised. I think the food craze has finally reached many of the areas. Many creative chef prepared dishes with fresh ingredients. I will attach a photo of a Beet and Goat cheese salad that I had in Portrush at the Mermaid Kitchen and Bar.

coachB

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »
Dave,

I'll take your word for it on the salad.  I only eat what is shot, skinned, butchered and cooked.  Other than corn and potatoes (that's the Irish influence) veggies do not cross my palette. Tomatoes when I'm cooking Italian (that's the New Haven CT influence).  And shellfish.

I wonder if the food quality improved as a result of the tourism industry's efforts to attract visitors?

By the way, did you get anywhere near Royal Portrush Golf?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:05:31 PM by coachB »

JustChillin

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »
Bill,
I feel sure tourism played a major part. We drove by Royal Portrush GC on the way to Bushmills for some whiskey and to Giants Causeway. BTW, the seafood was also excellent.