Author Topic: Flour for NY style  (Read 540 times)

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
    • View Profile
Flour for NY style
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:06:20 PM »
Any suggestions on what brand of flour to use for a NY style pizza dough? Thanks!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

coachB

• View Profile
Re: Flour for NY style
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 11:32:37 PM »
Bobby,
Stick with King Arthur Bread Flour.  Can be found in most groceries. (Blue bag).  If you can find it, King Arthur Sir Lancelot Flour.  This can be difficult.  If you are making Neopolitan style pies get Antimo Caputo 00 Flour.  A 50/50 mix with the King Arthur is commonly used for a lot of styles.  Excellent source for Caputo 00 is italydepot.com.  The real stuff and best price around--$35 for 20lbs with s&h included.  A 2lb bag at Wallyworld was like $3.50+.  Italy Depot ships 20'ers Priority.

Real imported and domestic Italian cheeses, meats (pepperoni, etc.), flours, etc. can also be found at Pennsylvania Macaroni in Pittsburgh--pennmac.com.  They ship really fast and are a 'burgh institution and very reputable.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

Meatball

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:56:04 AM »
Thanks Coach!!!!!!!!!!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

Meatball

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »
Is there a certain brand of yeast that is better to use ?
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

coachB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:39:56 PM »
Bobby,

Different opinions and preferences on the yeast.  You will hear the pros and cons of IDY vs ADY but it is personal.  I used ADY, proofed it, etc. for the longest time.  Then I read that with the improvements to IDY it was more commonly used commercially.  I switched to IDY (Bread Machine).  Noticed no difference other that ease of use.  After following Jeff Varasano's advice to use a poolish in the dough I ordered yeast culture (Italian) from his recommendation of Sourdough International (sourdo.com).  Gives a real nice flavor to the pizza dough reminiscent of home.  My home town (New Haven CT) boasts some of the highest rated pies in the country.  Frank Pepe's, Sally's Apizza, The Spot, Modern Apizza, Zuppardi's-- the list goes on and on.  That kind of exposure to great pizza makes it tough to deal with pizza made elsewhere.  So goes the quest to try to replicate home while living in Myrtle Beach SC.

I'm still trying.  Getting better, just not there yet.  The never ending quest.  Good luck with yours.

Meatball

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 12:46:59 AM »
Thanks again Coach..... being from South Philly and living in Tn. I know what you mean.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

coachB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
Bobby,

If you are a Flyers fan you can get further info on your own!  GO PENS!

JK ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Meatball

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:41:28 AM »
Lol.....  I was the biggest Bernie Parent fan growing up. Was a wonderful time in life.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector