Author Topic: Over Pressure?  (Read 2607 times)

S and M

Over Pressure?
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:31:36 PM »
I'm not sure how to describe this.  I have a #2 and I'm smoking my Super Bowl ribs. (3.25 oz)
There was a fair amount of smoking coming from the vent and then all of a sudden it sounded like a "mini" explosion or something.  The stream of smoke stopped momentarily and then resumed.  I have never seen this in the years I've owned the smoker.   Can someone tell me what just occurred?
Steve
Arizona
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Over Pressure?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 03:02:37 PM »
This happens when the wood in the box catches on fire, which generally happens if your wood is too dry.   I have seen this in the past when the smoker gets to about 180F, a big "belch" of smoke, and then the smoker works fine afterwards.    Since I have switched to smokinlicious.com wood, I have not experience the "belch".   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

S and M

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »
Thank you
A "Belch" is a much better description.  Dry wood could describe what I used today most likely too.  You nailed it.  Thanks again

Steve
Arizona
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 06:59:41 PM »
Yep. The belch. Poof. You might even see tiny particles dispersed around the the blowhole and top of your smoker. Dry wood, but nothing to be too concerned about. You should look into some better wood though. Just keep your face away from the hole if you are sniffing the wonderful smells coming out of there. I have not had it since I started using smokinlicious wood either.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RSBackyardQ

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 09:29:53 PM »
I too can attest to the Smokinlicious wood. I had this "belch" problem the first couple smokes I did with some grocery store wood chunks. Since I got a box of Smokinlicious wood, I have not had this problem.
Ron from Colorado Springs

Smokin-it Model 2
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Summit Platinum Gas Grill