Author Topic: Super bowl brisket, first time  (Read 2832 times)

Kutch98

Super bowl brisket, first time
« on: February 05, 2017, 12:56:12 PM »
So reading the forums and asking questions, I finally broke down and did my first brisket. 12lb from Albertsons. Walmart and the commissary were out. Wife's Costco card expired so couldn't get in there...which is going to be renewed very soon. Haha

I couldn't find an actual brisket brine so I used DMs pork butt brine and modified some of the spices. Let it brine over night, rubbed down with mustard and "rub your burger: for dead cow". Sat about 36 hours that way.

Put it in the SI2 last night, top shelf with 2 mini pans of water and misqute wood. Cooked around 235/240 and it was done right around the 12 hour mark. Tooth pick went in with ease.  Wrapped in tin foil and let sit for an hour.

I need to read up on slicing meat for next time. Haha. The thinner parts of the meat were a bit dry and over cooked. But that middle part...oh my. I could squeeze juice out while cutting. Got it all sliced up and out in a dish. Put the dry parts on the bottom with the juicy parts on top. Wrapped in tin foil and a towel and waiting for later..if I can.  Hopefully that will help moisten the dryer pieces up. Wife is getting some items for brisket nachos now.   

Not really any more difficult than a pork butt. Was just nervous of messin up a more expensive piece of meat. Few things to work on for next time. But overall I'm satisfied with it. The true test is when I bring the extra meat to work on Wednesday for my test subjects, I mean co workers, to try.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:57:57 PM by Kutch98 »
Jake, Alamogordo, NM/Effingham, IL
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

JustChillin

Re: Super bowl brisket, first time
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 01:01:58 PM »
I just took one off the smoker about an hour ago and it is resting in a cooler waiting on guest to arrive. It looks wonderful and appeared to be moist and tender but the real test will come when it's time to slice and serve. Enjoy your brisket!!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SmokedGouda

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
I have one on now too. Was 7.63 lbs and it's been going for just under 13 hours so far. Had it at 225 for 8 hours then bumped to 235-240 after IT hit 151 and then another 4 hrs later it hit 170 and then I turned it up to 250. I was estimating 1.5 hrs a lb which would've been about 12 hours so this seems like it'll come closer to 2 hours a lb now (I hope it doesn't get too dry). I was hoping to have the brisket out by now so I could cool the smoker down and prep for wings.
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

Kutch98

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:52:56 PM »
These nachos were great! 
Jake, Alamogordo, NM/Effingham, IL
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »
I have one on now too. Was 7.63 lbs and it's been going for just under 13 hours so far. Had it at 225 for 8 hours then bumped to 235-240 after IT hit 151 and then another 4 hrs later it hit 170 and then I turned it up to 250. I was estimating 1.5 hrs a lb which would've been about 12 hours so this seems like it'll come closer to 2 hours a lb now (I hope it doesn't get too dry). I was hoping to have the brisket out by now so I could cool the smoker down and prep for wings.

7.63 pounds sounds like a flat-only, not a whole packer. Just like butts, smaller cuts take longer per hour than large cuts. Or...smaller cuts take about the same number of hours as larger ones. For example, and 12+ pound whole packer might take 15 hours. Your 7.63 pound flat might also take 15 hours. I believe it is not as much about the weight, as it is about how long it takes for the connective tissue and collagen to break down and turn to gelatin. It just takes a certain amount of time for that chemical conversion to happen, regardless of the weight of the meat. When it comes to brisket, don't be tempted by turning up the temperature. You'll just be drying it out. Just allow plenty of extra time on the front end. Brisket can rest wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler easily for 5-6 hours or more.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:49:57 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide