Author Topic: Making Freezer Room - Turkey in the smoker  (Read 2945 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Making Freezer Room - Turkey in the smoker
« on: January 22, 2017, 02:39:15 PM »
I still have a couple frozen turkeys from Thanksgiving and want to reclaim some freezer space so I'm doing a 13 lbs turkey today.  I brined it overnight in one of my customary kitchen cupboard brines where I use half my spice cabinet and a cup of salt and a cup of brown sugar.  For a rub I'm using Weber Garlic & Herb seasoning and filled the cavity with onion, celery and carrots.  The smoke took 5 hours to reach 162 IT and was placed in a cooler with towels to rest for about an hour and a half.  This was probably my best turkey to date.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:22:40 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Making Freezer Room - Turkey in the smoker
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:58:45 AM »
Pics aren't showing up. :(

Never mind. I just figured out that the issue was on my end.

The pictures were not showing up for me because they are hosted on a site that is blocked my company IT team. :(

I saw them on my phone though and the pics look awesome! Nice job Dave as usual.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:07:50 PM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

ibbones

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
Love, love, love smoked turkey.  That one looks amazing.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »
I still have a couple frozen turkeys from Thanksgiving and want to reclaim some freezer space so I'm doing a 13 lbs turkey today.  I brined it overnight in one of my customary kitchen cupboard brines where I use half my spice cabinet and a cup of salt and a cup of brown sugar.  For a rub I'm using Weber Garlic & Herb seasoning and filled the cavity with onion, celery and carrots.  The smoke took 5 hours to reach 162 IT and was placed in a cooler with towels to rest for about an hour and a half.  This was probably my best turkey to date.

I haven't smoked a turkey yet but I want mine to look like that!  From your description, did you dry brine it (spices, sugar, and salt) but no water?  The skin looks  so good, and yet, I keep reading that because it's not crisp, you should just throw it away. 

I'm going to smoke some wings this weekend and will attempt to get the skin somewhat crisp by employing a 2 step method.  Smoke the wings at 250 for about an hour and then raise the temp. to 350 for the remaining time.  According to Steve Raichlen, he raises the temp. to 350 or 400 for the last 20 minutes of cooking chicken.  Apparently, it works for him.  I don't want to test my smoker by going too high.  Any suggestions?
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 02:58:49 PM »
Sue, my brine spices were per 1 gallon of water.

On wings, I move the wings from the smoker to a cookie sheet and broil until the skin starts to bubble.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 08:28:07 PM »
Sure glad that one turned out good, Dave!  Looks great, and you never really need to make an excuse to smoke a turkey! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!