Author Topic: Food for football  (Read 18101 times)

RG

Re: Food for football
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 07:30:46 AM »
5 hours at 225, no peeking. Perfectly moist and tender. Baby backs were done at halftime. So were the Packers. :'(

The ribs look great, the Packers? Not so much. Like I was telling Tony and others on Facebook, the body language and facial expressions on those boys showed they were tired and just wanted to get out of the GA Dome and go home. I have NEVER seen Rodgers that way. That first half just broke their spirit I believe. I'm all for the Falcons going to the Super Bowl but I wasn't expecting the Pack to be so disinterested in winning. I will give credit to Jordy for suiting up, the man is a warrior! Stupid for GB to allow their star to risk severe injury, but a herculean effort just to be out there running. It was amazing! He must've been on some GOOD stuff, lol!

The thing is with the great franchises like Green Bay, New England, San Fran (of old), Pittsburgh and even Dallas (ugh!) is that there is a history of winning, a culture. There's also trophies in the trophy case! So, the odds of GB just falling out of grace and becoming the Jaguars are slim to none, lol. Your team will be competitive for a long while. The Falcons, on the other hand, have been perennial losers with a couple of bright spots along the way so this is all new to them as well as the fans. I am going to enjoy this success and this feeling for as long as I can for it may be a one off deal. We went to the Super Bowl back in 99 under Dan Reeves and it took us until now to get back! Strangely enough with another head coach named Dan, lol. What's up with the Dan factor? Hmmmmm. At any rate, I hope for a Falcons Super Bowl victory. I will be blown away to say the least!
Jason from Conyers GA

JustChillin

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 08:12:50 AM »
Kari those are some good looking ribs. My ribs turned out tender and moist but everyone got to them before any pictures were taken. For Falcons fans it was a good game but I agree with Tony, GB will be back before the Birds based on our history.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 10:45:29 AM »
5 hours at 225, no peeking. Perfectly moist and tender. Baby backs were done at halftime. So were the Packers. :'(

The ribs look great, the Packers? Not so much. Like I was telling Tony and others on Facebook, the body language and facial expressions on those boys showed they were tired and just wanted to get out of the GA Dome and go home. I have NEVER seen Rodgers that way. That first half just broke their spirit I believe. I'm all for the Falcons going to the Super Bowl but I wasn't expecting the Pack to be so disinterested in winning. I will give credit to Jordy for suiting up, the man is a warrior! Stupid for GB to allow their star to risk severe injury, but a herculean effort just to be out there running. It was amazing! He must've been on some GOOD stuff, lol!

The thing is with the great franchises like Green Bay, New England, San Fran (of old), Pittsburgh and even Dallas (ugh!) is that there is a history of winning, a culture. There's also trophies in the trophy case! So, the odds of GB just falling out of grace and becoming the Jaguars are slim to none, lol. Your team will be competitive for a long while. The Falcons, on the other hand, have been perennial losers with a couple of bright spots along the way so this is all new to them as well as the fans. I am going to enjoy this success and this feeling for as long as I can for it may be a one off deal. We went to the Super Bowl back in 99 under Dan Reeves and it took us until now to get back! Strangely enough with another head coach named Dan, lol. What's up with the Dan factor? Hmmmmm. At any rate, I hope for a Falcons Super Bowl victory. I will be blown away to say the least!

If the Packers were going to take a dive like this Crosby should have just shanked that last kick in the Dallas game. I am not saying Dallas would have been the Falcons, but I know they would have given them more of a game then the Packers did.

I am a Falcons fan all the way now!!!

And go Packers next year!!! I do like the Packers because I despise the Minnesota ViQueens.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

RG

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »
Football brings out the passion in us just as BBQ does! I am glad to have you guys as an accomplice in both :)
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 01:58:18 PM »
Go Falcons! ;D
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 09:12:05 PM »
Go Falcons! ;D

Thank You Ma'am!! Very classy of you!! Most Packers fans are great but I do know a few obnoxious ones, lol. Same with every team I suppose.
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 09:53:38 PM »
Go Falcons! ;D

Thank You Ma'am!! Very classy of you!! Most Packers fans are great but I do know a few obnoxious ones, lol. Same with every team I suppose.

I have not heard one negative thing here today, either in person by fans, or in the local news media. The fact that we were 4-6, I think everyone was grateful for the extended season, and just the chance at the Superbowl when all seemed lost early on. Lots of praise from fans for a great season by the Pack. I don't know if Dallas would have been a better match-up, or if the Pack were that bad, but I don't think either one gives enough credit to ATL, which just has a good and balanced team this year, and would have kicked butt either way.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2017, 07:51:08 AM »
Additional support for the people of Madison being the nicest people on earth. We also have a lot of good fans that support their teams win or lose. In my house we are GA Tech fans, therefore we have much experience on being gracious after a loss. Hats of to the GB fans!!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 09:43:38 PM »
The Falcons put a good ol' fashion whoopin' on my beloved Packers, for sure!  Now that the season's over, I'm a huge Falcons fan!  Of course, I always say that my favorite football team is whoever is playing the Cheatriots Patriots!  I'd love to see Matt Ryan take Deflator Brady down a notch!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
It should be a fun game. I obviously am rooting for the Falcons and I have faith in them to win but it will be a tall order I am sure. The Pats are the darlings of the NFL so I am just praying for a well called game and that the refs don't do the usual and show HUGE favoritism to the Pats and Brady. The GB game was called pretty good, both teams got away with a few holds and such but that's normal. If they called a penalty every time they saw one, the game would take about 6 hours to play, lol. If it gets called even, I like the Falcons chances. I don't think the Pats have come up against anything like the Falcons this year so they might get quite a shock if the Birds are on their game. I expect the Falcons to be laser focused, these types of opportunities don't come along very often.

Tony & Kari and all of you rooting the Falcons on, I am glad to know we have a few more on our side!
Jason from Conyers GA

JustChillin

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2017, 07:50:49 AM »
Hi Jason, I assume you are serving some of those cheezebrogers for the Super Bowl. Is so, you will have some happy guest. I have been requested to cook some baked/broiled oysters and a brisket. I don't know if they like my food or that they are just prefer to relax and let me do all of the work. Hoping for a Falcon's win.

RG

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
Hi Jason, I assume you are serving some of those cheezebrogers for the Super Bowl. Is so, you will have some happy guest. I have been requested to cook some baked/broiled oysters and a brisket. I don't know if they like my food or that they are just prefer to relax and let me do all of the work. Hoping for a Falcon's win.

I had contemplated doing burgers but it turns out the boss (my wife) has the menu set. We will be having buffalo chicken quesadillas and cheese quesadillas for the one guest that is a vegetarian  ::)

Also the boss is making up some beer cheese and pretzel bites, both really easy to make and then we're having tater tochos and pepper stout beef sliders. All finger food. That's our contribution to it. Our guests will bring some stuff too, usually stuff like fruit trays and dessert of some sort, maybe some dips and chips. All easy but good!
Jason from Conyers GA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »
Good appetizer and easy.  Using a mini muffin pan, put 1" chunks of your favorite hot dog and cover with Marie Calendar corn bread batter.  Makes a very tasty corndog bite. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2017, 12:09:05 PM »
Good appetizer and easy.  Using a mini muffin pan, put 1" chunks of your favorite hot dog and cover with Marie Calendar corn bread batter.  Makes a very tasty corndog bite.

I love corn dogs! Definitely gonna try this. My favorite hot dogs are Nathan's, or Best's kosher beef. Or polish sausage in either of those.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »
Great idea,  little smokies cocktail wieners would be a tasty snack in cornbread.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3