Author Topic: Chicken Drumsticks in #1 - Time?  (Read 6817 times)

PAHuntAndEat

Re: Chicken Drumsticks in #1 - Time?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »
Did you cook them on the pan that you have in your screen shot?

If so, my guess is that was what caused the problem. Using large pans like this really messes with the Smokin-It controller probe.

I general, it is recommended to not use any large pans to catch drippings or to add water as it will cause these problems. FYI water pans are typically not recommended/used for skin-on poultry. For skinless cuts, you would want to use a water pan. Most use a disposable mini-loaf tin filled with water, beer, apple juice, etc placed on the floor of the smoker rested right up against the smoke box. Do not EVER place a water pan on a shelf above the smoke box.

The only exception is if you have a #4 which is large enough to usually overcome the issues caused by the drip pan.

Line the bottom of your smoker and the smoke box with foil and you should not need the pan. This will also allow for the smoke to hit your meat a lot better too.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the information NDKoze. The pan was only used in the oven after removing them from the smoker. The drumsticks were placed directly on the top two racks in the smoker(the racks that were provided with the smoker). I did not use a water pan or drip pan and there was nothing else in the smoker except the drumsticks and the two racks that came with the smoker.
Dee from PA Mountains
SI#1

PAHuntAndEat

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 02:16:36 PM »
I just did an experiment with the smoker. I believe this shows that the smoker is working properly...

I wrapped a standard size regular construction old brick with aluminum foil and placed it in the #1 on the centered on the middle rack. On the top rack i placed a regular analog oven thermometer on the top rack so it is visible from the smoke hole. I also used a food thermometer and put the probe through the smoke hole slightly below the brick. I turned the smoker to 250 with no wood.

11:45  start cold
12:15  bottom temp 250 top temp 200
12:30  bottom temp 295 top temp 250
12:30 turned off smoker (i did this to see how long it would retain heat)
1:00   bottom temp 196 top temp 200

I think this looks pretty good right? Is the problem i am not putting enough meat in for each smoke? Maybe 2lbs of meat is not enough to have a consistent cook?
Dee from PA Mountains
SI#1

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »
2 pounds of meat should not be a problem for the #1. If anything, less meat would just cause more temperature fluctuations, and you'd see your temperature spike above 250, no problem. Again, I'm stumped why when you have an actual cook, it takes so long, and appears not to get to temp. Anyone else?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Gene

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 05:25:47 PM »
I just did an experiment with the smoker. I believe this shows that the smoker is working properly...

I wrapped a standard size regular construction old brick with aluminum foil and placed it in the #1 on the centered on the middle rack. On the top rack i placed a regular analog oven thermometer on the top rack so it is visible from the smoke hole. I also used a food thermometer and put the probe through the smoke hole slightly below the brick. I turned the smoker to 250 with no wood.

11:45  start cold
12:15  bottom temp 250 top temp 200
12:30  bottom temp 295 top temp 250
12:30 turned off smoker (i did this to see how long it would retain heat)
1:00   bottom temp 196 top temp 200

I think this looks pretty good right? Is the problem i am not putting enough meat in for each smoke? Maybe 2lbs of meat is not enough to have a consistent cook?

I have a thought that might be a long shot worth trying.  It looks like from your test above you've proven that your smoker will reach the desired temperature on it's first cycle.  But then you turned it off.
What if it is having trouble returning to the higher temperature after it "cools down" ?  Maybe try watching to see if it is cycling back up soon enough.  If it is taking too long between highs that might explain the long cook times.
Hope this helps.
Model 1
Central Illinois

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 09:33:52 PM »
If you try this test again, Dee, and leave it on longer, don't wrap the brick in foil.  The idea of a heat sink, during testing or an autotune (D models) is to absorb the heat, like meat would.  Wrapping in foil reflects the heat.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!