Author Topic: Wings on the menu tonight  (Read 4431 times)

RSBackyardQ

Wings on the menu tonight
« on: January 07, 2017, 06:21:21 PM »
This will be my first attempt at smoking some wings on my #2. Here’s what I’m trying.

Brined the wings for 6 hours in a basic salt and sugar brine (no other spices) ½ cup kosher salt ½ cup organic sugar 5 cups water.
Drained and rinsed the wings then coated with a little olive oil and seasoned with some Weber Garlic Habanero seasoning.

Just got a box of SmokinLicious wood (cherry and hickory) I’m using a 2.75oz block of cherry for this smoke.

I plan to smoke them at 250 degrees for 2 hours then I’ll finish on the grill for about 4 to 5 minutes per side.

Half the wings will get tossed in some Famous Dave’s Rich and Sassy original BBQ sauce (slightly diluted to cover a little better) and the other half will get tossed in my own wing sauce that I make.

Wing Sauce (Blazin BBQ as my family calls it)
12oz bottle Franks Hot Sauce
½ cup butter (melted)
¼ cup honey
1 tsp liquid smoke
½ tsp crushed thyme
6 garlic cloves pressed
kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

I’ll let you all know how they come out.
Ron from Colorado Springs

Smokin-it Model 2
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Summit Platinum Gas Grill

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Wings on the menu tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 07:16:49 PM »
Looks great!  Looking forward to seeing the finished results!

Been wanting to try wings also!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:18:13 PM »
Been wanting to try wings also!

Wings are some of my favorite!  Make enough to have leftovers... they're even better the next day.  :)

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

RSBackyardQ

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 10:06:28 PM »
Well just to report back. The family and I agree that these were the tastiest wings ever. I had to add another 40 minutes to the time on the smoker. But they were cooked perfectly. Tender and still very moist. Maybe the extra time had something to do with it being 20 degrees outside.  ;D Can't wait for summer. 8)

The Famous Dave's sauce and the Weber habanero seasoning blended very well. Was a very nice combination of spicy and sweet.

A pic below of the finished product.

Cheers  8)

Smokin-it Model 2
Weber Smokey Mountain

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 11:08:26 PM »
Those look fantastic!

Coming to a smoker near me in the near future!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 12:03:40 AM »
Any recipe using Frank's is my favorite for wings. After saucing, I like a blue cheese dressing dip. You could probably leave the liquid smoke out of the Frank's recipe since you are smoking the wings.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RSBackyardQ

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 12:46:15 AM »
Any recipe using Frank's is my favorite for wings. After saucing, I like a blue cheese dressing dip. You could probably leave the liquid smoke out of the Frank's recipe since you are smoking the wings.

I don't disagree on the liquid smoke. Didn't really add anything but didn't take away either. I've mostly used this recipe when grilling on the gas grill. Not really necessary when smoking. Still a delicious meal and I'm looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow.

Smokin-it Model 2
Weber Smokey Mountain

Tman

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »
I did wings as well but the skin was a little soft... i had them in for two hours. Did you end up cooking in three hours, also did you finish with the grill as originally planned? My wings were good and tendor but dont think I left them on the smoker long enough or might increase to 275 degrees next time.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:25:18 AM by Tman »
Tate B.
Model 1, 2, now 4D.
Dallas, Texas

RSBackyardQ

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 11:05:19 AM »
Tate, when I checked them at 2hrs, they weren't quite done. So I switched the two racks and also moved them a little closer to the bottom near the smoke box to get a little more heat. I let them stay in the smoker another 40min then tossed them in a little sauce and then on the grill to crisp up the skin for just a few minuets on each side. The skin had a very good texture. I also added a little more sauce after they came off the grill.

Smokin-it Model 2
Weber Smokey Mountain

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 01:53:08 PM »
Looks like your wings turned out great!

I usually use jerk seasoning or my Texas rub, so they already have the heat. We dip the in BBQ, Sweet & Sour or Ranch dressing.

Best Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »
I prefer Cholula hot sauce to the Franks.  I look for an after bite that doesn't drastically change the taste of the wing. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 09:58:40 PM »
+1 on Cholula. A little less heat and vinegar than Frank's. And lots of flavor. It's my favorite on eggs and fried potatoes for breakfast.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide