Author Topic: Where Are We From -- Google Map  (Read 17574 times)

drains

Re: Where Are We From -- Google Map
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
Great idea! I'm at 75904
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 08:01:10 PM »
Neat! and a lot of room to grow.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »
All requested updates made to this point...
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 09:39:18 PM »
Larry - you can add 85635. And thanks.  Great idea.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 12:26:17 AM »
That's very cool. 8)
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 12:22:31 PM »
Well done, Larry!   When this is more complete, Steve could use this at the shows he attends to sell the SI smokers.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 07:27:33 PM »
Ogden, Utah 84414
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 10:13:05 PM »
* Requested updates have been applied
* All of the Jr. Members have been added which brings the number of data points to 194
* The map now shows a break-down by model
* I'm adding new people as they introduce themselves

Keep feeding me any corrections and I'll get them made...
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

RSBackyardQ

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 02:58:42 AM »
Nice Larry. Thanks for the work. It's cool to see where our fellow Smokin-it smokers are.  8)
Ron from Colorado Springs

Smokin-it Model 2
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Summit Platinum Gas Grill

Limey

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 04:39:24 PM »
Larry, I also have a place, and another SI3, in Saratoga Springs, upstate NY, zip 12866.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 10:37:01 PM »
Pretty cool idea Larry! This is actually useful and cool to see the distribution. I wonder if the flags can be replaced with numbers for counts of units in that city/location. I know of at least 3 SI owners in my area because I convinced them to buy.

You should ping Ben (BHamel) who's the IT guy for the forum. I've coordinated with him in the past to get forum updates to auto-resize images during upload/post. I couldn't much harm of having him get you just a data dump export report from the customer database with city, state, and SI model # ordered. As long as all other information was excluded it shouldn't be considered personal/private information. Perhaps it would provide to much "competitive" sales information such numbers of customers and most popular units sold. But, with enough determination someone could probably already perform some statistical data analysis from these forum posts and infer estimates for approximately how many units per year are being made/sold.

I still think it'd be cool to see a "snapshot in time graph" like you started here with the geographic distribution of confirmed units.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:48:29 PM by TmanEater »
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

coyote

• SI2
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 02:20:58 AM »
Muscle Shoals, ala 35674
 Thanks #2
HAPPY SMOKIN,
ROLL TIDE,!

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 09:14:09 AM »
Pretty cool idea Larry! This is actually useful and cool to see the distribution. I wonder if the flags can be replaced with numbers for counts of units in that city/location. I know of at least 3 SI owners in my area because I convinced them to buy.

It looks like I've pretty well tapped the current capabilities.  In edit mode there is a count next to each smoker model in the legend.  It's a shame that doesn't show.  You'll have to convince the others to go ahead and join the forums!

You should ping Ben (BHamel) who's the IT guy for the forum. I've coordinated with him in the past to get forum updates to auto-resize images during upload/post. I couldn't much harm of having him get you just a data dump export report from the customer database with city, state, and SI model # ordered. As long as all other information was excluded it shouldn't be considered personal/private information. Perhaps it would provide to much "competitive" sales information such numbers of customers and most popular units sold. But, with enough determination someone could probably already perform some statistical data analysis from these forum posts and infer estimates for approximately how many units per year are being made/sold.

One of the things I've learned in doing this is that less than 10% of the forum members have ever been active enough to get past the 'Newbie' tag.  I can only imagine how busy this place would be if we could increase the participation rate by even 5%.

I figure at this point I'll keep it updated as new people join and do updates as they're requested.  I suspect word of this will get back to Ben and Steve... if there turns out to be interest on their part then I'd certainly talk to them about options.  It's great eye-candy, but I don't know how much business value it would provide.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 10:46:31 PM »
There might be a way we can automate this, through the forum control panel.  I'll get with Ben.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Moscowbni

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 06:18:24 AM »
I just noticed this topic.  Great idea.  Can you place a pin for my location?
Kuwait!
City, Salwa

Cheers,
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.