Author Topic: Smoked Butter??!!  (Read 4536 times)

Durangosmoker

Smoked Butter??!!
« on: January 02, 2017, 06:47:49 PM »
Found this in my local Tops Supermarket today, and was intrigued, so I bought it. Butter tastes great, but no smoked flavor that I could detect. I've emailed the company, and I'll let you know what they say.

But it got me thinking. Butter would have to be frozen rock hard, and obviously cold smoked with lots of ice to keep the box below about 90 degrees, but how hard could it be?
(Now if only I had a cold smoke plate...) or perhaps just use an amaz-n smoke generator.

Anyway, thought you all might be interested.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Smoked Butter??!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 02:05:51 AM »
I've definitely heard and seen posts of people doing this, but have never tried it.

I would think you would want to use an A-MAZE-N smoker for this though, unless you have tested and confirmed that you can consistently get good smoke and keep below 70-80 degrees or so.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »
I've used a "new" tube a-maze-n smoke now a few times on the gasser grill.  I'd think for butter and many cheeses this is probably the way to go without any melt (or limited).    Haven't tried in the SI yet, but those pellets burn off nicely once lit up.   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

LM600

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:53:31 AM »
Cold smoked butter is superb in mashed potatoes.

You can use a cold smoke generator such as the Amaz'n' tube or the Pro Q one...or....you can make your own out of a metal sieve, just push the middle up to form a channel, fill it with sawdust leaving a gap, light it and let it smoulder :)
Marcus from Milton Keynes, England.

Outside : Pro Q Excel 20. Brinkmann Grill. Various Cold Smoke Generators.
Indoors : Electric Lava Rock Grill.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
Interesting idea. Quite the ingenuity you have shown. I wonder if that thin metal will hold up to the heat of repeated use though?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Limey

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »
Very creative!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

LM600

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
Cheers Chaps, the heat is pretty negligible, just a tealight or a lighter to get the sawdust smouldering and that's it. And the sieves are only a couple of quid from our equivalent of somewhere like Target etc.
Marcus from Milton Keynes, England.

Outside : Pro Q Excel 20. Brinkmann Grill. Various Cold Smoke Generators.
Indoors : Electric Lava Rock Grill.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »
Very clever!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
Love the cold smoke generator, Marcus!  Great idea!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!