Author Topic: Planning My First Whole Chicken  (Read 3030 times)

Sartori42

Planning My First Whole Chicken
« on: December 30, 2016, 11:36:57 PM »
I'm looking ahead to next weekend when I attempt my first chicken.  I plan to use a whole fryer (about 5 lbs), brined using DivotMaker's basic poultry brine (minus the orange juice this time), stuffed with mire poix, coated with rub, and smoked.  I have a few questions as I look ahead...

1.  It would seem to me that the chicken skin would impede the infusion of the smoke flavor into the meat.  I saw Patrick's Chicken recipe on the SI web page called for de-skinning the chicken.  Since the skin seems to not be particularly edible when cooked at low temp, what is it's function?  To keep moisture inside?  So, the question is to remove or leave on the bird?  If the answer is to remove the skin, before or after brining?

2.  DM's brine has garlic, rosemary, and onion powder.  If that infuses those flavors into the meat, should I skip those seasonings in the external rub?  Maybe something simple on the outside like olive oil and cracked black pepper?

3.  Let's say I skip the seasonings in the brine, using just salt water.  Will I get a good effect by putting seasonings in the mire poix (internal) and in the external rub?

Thanks in advance...

Steven

Steven near Chicago
Model #2 with Norman Cabinet

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Planning My First Whole Chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 02:03:31 AM »
Chicken has become one of my favorite things to smoke. I hardly ever smoked chicken before I had the SI. Those are all good questions, and I think you have to try some things and find what you like. It varies from person to person. Here are my experiences/opinions. All you really need in your brine for it to do it's job is salt. I also am a strong believer in brown sugar. That being said, most of the time I add other things to the brine to infuse flavor. They need to be strongly flavored things to really have much effect, like garlic, onion, certain herbs and spices, etc. Skip things like carrot, etc in the brine. They won't do anything. Any flavor agents you add to your brine will be relatively subtle in the meat, so go ahead and season the outside as usual, minus the salt. I do find that the smoke flavor is concentrated in the skin, and the skin does impede a little bit of smoke penetration from the outside, but I've never felt the chicken wasn't smoky enough (except for maybe the breast meat closest to the bone). You might want to try 2 chickens, one with skin, and one without to see what you prefer. If you are removing the skin, I'd remove it before brining. I have always left the skin on assuming it helps protect the meat and keep it moist, but I don't eat the skin. Unless you like eating leather and paper, you should give the skin to the dog. A mire poix perfumes the bird and adds moisture. Some people prefer to leave the cavity empty for more even smoke penetration, inside and out. Lately I've been adding a mire poix, but I've done it both ways, and I can see the point about the smoke getting inside the cavity. Either way is good for it's own reason.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 10:34:51 PM »
Chicken has become one of my favorite things to smoke. I hardly ever smoked chicken before I had the SI. Those are all good questions, and I think you have to try some things and find what you like. It varies from person to person. Here are my experiences/opinions. All you really need in your brine for it to do it's job is salt. I also am a strong believer in brown sugar. That being said, most of the time I add other things to the brine to infuse flavor. They need to be strongly flavored things to really have much effect, like garlic, onion, certain herbs and spices, etc. Skip things like carrot, etc in the brine. They won't do anything. Any flavor agents you add to your brine will be relatively subtle in the meat, so go ahead and season the outside as usual, minus the salt. I do find that the smoke flavor is concentrated in the skin, and the skin does impede a little bit of smoke penetration from the outside, but I've never felt the chicken wasn't smoky enough (except for maybe the breast meat closest to the bone). You might want to try 2 chickens, one with skin, and one without to see what you prefer. If you are removing the skin, I'd remove it before brining. I have always left the skin on assuming it helps protect the meat and keep it moist, but I don't eat the skin. Unless you like eating leather and paper, you should give the skin to the dog. A mire poix perfumes the bird and adds moisture. Some people prefer to leave the cavity empty for more even smoke penetration, inside and out. Lately I've been adding a mire poix, but I've done it both ways, and I can see the point about the smoke getting inside the cavity. Either way is good for it's own reason.

+1!  That about covers it... ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Sartori42

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
Just a couple more quick questions...

I assume there is no water container next to the fire box, right?

Does the bird need to rest after coming out of the smoker?

Thank you.

Steven
Steven near Chicago
Model #2 with Norman Cabinet

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
I only use a water container if I use skinless poultry. So, assuming that you are leaving the skin on your whole bird, I wouldn't use a water pan.

You can have a short rest while you get your dinner table ready, but poultry doesn't have a lot of external juice that has to reabsorb back into the meat. So, it will not benefit as much from a rest than pork and beef do.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.