Author Topic: Pit Beef vs Brisket  (Read 3227 times)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Pit Beef vs Brisket
« on: December 30, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »
My wife picked up some pit beef today from our fav BBQ joint in Maryland.  Personally I though it would be some sort of pulled shredded style, but looks like a nice Arbys slice.

This place also sells brisket the same way, sliced and nice.   Texture of the Pit beef seems less fatty vs brisket.

Just curious from the experts what the difference is..................I'm more of a pork guy:)

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Pit Beef vs Brisket
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 07:41:12 PM »
Pit beef is usually made from some cut from the round, and grilled over an open pit. It is not low and slow. And is sliced thin, rare or medium rare (or to order). You can make something pretty similar (probably even better) low and slow, and smoked on the SI. The round has very little fat, and will not become tender from low and slow cooking. It must be sliced very thin to be tender. Brisket is completely different. Brisket is a tough cut, with a lot of fat and connective tissue (which means big flavor). It needs low and slow to break the connective tissue and collagen down into gelatin, which gives brisket it's lip-smacking juiciness. Brisket is cooked well beyond being pink in the middle.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:50:28 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide