Author Topic: brisket help  (Read 1956 times)

dannyboy

brisket help
« on: July 20, 2019, 05:31:45 PM »
I've done some searching but I'm not finding the basic how to for a brisket. I'm taking this to my brother in laws so I need it to turn out good. Someone please give me the run down from top to bottom.  Brine to cooking... Thanks or point me to where the instructions are at. I searched but didn't find what I needed.

This is my first one.
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

Lipster

Re: brisket help
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 08:24:09 PM »
Trim fat to 1/8" thick, Rub of your choice, Smoke for 3-4 hours at 225,  Sous Vide at 140 for 60 hours, then on the real hot grill to sear and get  bubbly and attractive. Slice and serve.
You can cut it with a spoon if you wish.

bogeyjim

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 08:38:02 PM »
Have you read the "Lazy Q" guide on the Smokin It home page?  Click on "for the customer" link, then "instructions & info", then the top link for Lazy Q.  Lots of basic and useful information there.
Jim in The Granite State

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 12:14:01 AM »
Go to Costco and buy a prime grade packer, figure .5lbs per person uncooked weight. Get a big one because leftovers are good.  2 days out to cook, Trim the thick fat down a bit. Dry brine for 2 days with salt on a wire rack uncovered in the fridge, thinking that this will be the majority of your salting. When ready for the smoker, check th way the grain runs for slicing later, spritz with water or Worcestershire sauce and rub with your choice of rub. My favorite is Black Ops brisket rub by Oak Ridge BBQ. It’s damn good!

Into the smoker it goes, I use white oak wood chunks, maybe 7-8oz for a big packer. set smoker to 225 smoke temp, place a probe into the point as well as the flat and let it go until 190 then check it for jiggle.  Let it go until 200* or so or until it has the jello jiggle, it could be sooner. I usually figure 1.5 hours per uncooked pound for time. When ready, pull and Double/triple Wrap in foil and let it rest in a cooler for 1-2 hours. During this 1-2 hours, get your sides prepped, drink a good beer, and then pull the brisket, separate the point and flat and slice it up.

Serve it and bask in how good you just made this brisket for your BIL. Then have a bourbon to celebrate.

I really like serving Franklins beans and a German potato salad with brisket. That’s how I roll, oh. And white bread for those that need it.

Sauce, I like a vinegar based sauce. Franklin also has a good basic vinegar sauce.

Hope that helps a bit, from top to bottom.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:20:25 AM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

dannyboy

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 07:29:11 AM »
Thanks Fly, and Jim that is that I was looking for. 
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.