Author Topic: 2nd Brisket Flat in my 3D- 260 Degrees!  (Read 8049 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
2nd Brisket Flat in my 3D- 260 Degrees!
« on: December 30, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »
After traveling in Texas last year, I noticed that a few of the old timers smoked their briskets much hotter than we do. With my first try I did my last brisket at 250 degrees and it was good, so this time I cranked it up to 260 degrees. The results were excellent and now I can start my briskets first thing in the morning and they will be done for dinner!

Brisket
6.7 lb. choice flat from Costco

Wood:
5.5 oz. Pecan

Quick Tender:
Apply and allow to sit for 30 minutes, rinse well and then pat dry & apply rub

Rub:
3 T Pickle Juice/3 T Yellow Mustard
Rub 7 Parts Black Pepper, 3 Parts Kosher Salt, 3 Parts Lawry’s, 1 Part Garlic

Directions:

Applied yellow mustard and then the rub, placed in refrigerator overnight
Place in smoker at 260 degrees with the fat side down.

Once it hit 195 degrees tested to make sure it is tender, removed from smoker.

Placed the brisket in pan covered with foil (added 1 cup Au Jus) placed back in the smoker at 160 degrees, until dinner time.

* Took 7.5 hours to come up to 195 degrees, excellent brisket.

Best Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 2nd Brisket Flat in my 3D- 260 Degrees!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 09:04:02 PM »
Looks great, Greg!  Happy New Year!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TexasSMK

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 01:00:45 PM »
Giving this a shot tomorrow Greg, thanks, as always, for the post!
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

EFGM

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 10:44:18 PM »
Well, that's close to 275*! That's where I do mine. Let us know how you come out!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Greenenvey

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
I'm kinda excited to try this, if  it's  as good  as a slow cooked brisket and I can put it on and pull it off at a decent hour then that would be awesome.
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 12:21:08 PM »
Looks tasty Greg! I have to try mine at a higher temp. Thanks for sharing.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 12:49:46 PM »
Looks tasty Greg! I have to try mine at a higher temp. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bob!
Best Greg

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 07:48:27 PM »
So have others tried high temps with same results?
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:00:45 PM »
I know some with wood/stick burners go higher.  When I had my stick burner I did my level best to try to keep the beast right around 300 degrees.  Of course I was doing only pork, lots of fat and the results were always good.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:52:04 AM »
So have others tried high temps with same results?

Jason, in 2016 I smoked 35 briskets at 275. I don't know how many this year, but the number is considerably down from 2016. This year I did some overnight smokes and dropped back to 260 and then raised to 275 when I was awake. My temp alerts were not working as I had some internet connectivity challenges. Either way in 2016 they were all successful and this year only had one because of operator error got a little crusty on the bottom but was still awesome. (I got my fat side up on the bottom rack by mistake) I say all this not to brag in any way, but to say go for it and always remember, there is no one single way that's the best or only way. I used to separate the point and flat before smoking and it cut the time down and gave me more precious bark, but Tony convinced me to change. Great either way.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:03:47 AM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »
I don't see any reason to smoke a brisket above 225, unless you are in a hurry. And you need to smoke it in less time. I see no evidence that it is better in flavor and texture than one smoked at 225 or less. Much of this info comes from traditional smoking methods, where maintaining a temp below 250 is difficult. My own past smoking experience included. If there were any evidence to prove that 250 or higher was better, I would consider it. But there is plenty of evidence to support smoking a brisket between 200 and 225 by BBQ places across the US. If on the other hand your work schedule, or weekend schedule does not allow you to smoke it at 225, then by all means do the "quick" method. It will probably be darn near as good. Maybe close to the same. But not better.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:30:44 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 09:21:25 PM »
Aaron Franklin claims he does his briskets at 275 iirc ... granted, *completely* diff kind of smoker. It's certainly interesting. I was just in Austin a few weeks ago and sooooooo bummed his place was still closed after the fire. Did hit Pecan Lodge ... amazing brisket!
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

EFGM

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 12:41:59 PM »
Kari is right on point! I tried for two years and couldn't get the outcome I was pleased with. I read about Franklin smoking at 275 and the 50/50 Kosher Salt and Pepper and I bought the Prime Grade from Costco. I tried that and it was great, except...My better half missed her Tatonka Dust. So the next one I did the same except I added a small sprinkling of TD on top of the Dalmation Rub and WOW, we found the flavor profile that fit us to a T! (As well as anyone that has tasted our Brisket) So I changed three things at one time (a no no to some) but the results were and have been outstanding. While I stopped separating the Point from the Flat, I think I still prefer them that way I just got away from it with some encouragement. I wouldn't say that 275 makes a better brisket simply because in the big picture there are, as Kari mentioned, far far more briskets smoked at 225 than the higher temp, I just say that it was one of the changes I made and since that time I have always had outstanding outcomes. Would it be just as good at 225, I suspect so, as long as I smoked it until it probed like butter and perhaps one day I will try just to prove it to myself, but until then whether I'm smoking 2 at a time, 3, or 5, I'm sticking with what works for me and each and everyone should do the same. i.e. what works for you is the Best way to smoke! In my humble opinion, I believe it is the Prime Cut and the Seasoning that make mine what they are.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:05:32 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 06:08:38 PM »
One additional thought!
Doing a Brisket at the same temperature Aaron Franklin does did not hurt my confidence level one bit! Of course, if I had read the other article that said he smoked at 250 first, that would change things wouldn't it. I wonder if there is another article where it says 225?
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 06:49:15 PM »
One additional thought!
Doing a Brisket at the same temperature Aaron Franklin does did not hurt my confidence level one bit! Of course, if I had read the other article that said he smoked at 250 first, that would change things wouldn't it. I wonder if there is another article where it says 225?

I've seen Franklin use 250 on a small offset cooker for home use. Maybe he does 275 at his restaurant, because those are huge cookers, with a huge meat load. I think if you are loading up your 4D with several briskets, it makes sense to cook at 250 or 275 due to the load. I'm sticking with 225 in my little #1.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide