Author Topic: Merry Christmas! ... First Attempt at Bacon!!!  (Read 15860 times)

SmokedGouda

Merry Christmas! ... First Attempt at Bacon!!!
« on: December 27, 2016, 05:24:25 PM »
I received the cold smoke plate for Christmas from my in-laws and the jerky dryer from my wife! I'm excited to put both to work but am going to start with the cold smoke plate and make some bacon! Oh and a vacuum sealer too haha

I'll be giving Pork Belly's cure a try with some bellies I plan on getting from Costco on Thursday or Friday. I'm thinking of going with 2 or 3 (depending on size) so I can try a few things.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1797.0

I've read many of the bacon posts here and am taking bits from each to determine how to smoke it. I like SconnieQ's recipe too...
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5582.msg51933#msg51933

I've got a few days before curing and obv more time before smoking so I'll gladly take any last minute suggestions if you got em. Thanks for all the advice from the prior posts! 1 question I do have has to do with storing the cured bacon on a rack uncovered in the fridge for a day, depending how many bellies I have there may not be room in the fridge so is it ok to stack them or no?

I'll post updates as time goes on.

Baconnnnnn!
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

SmokedGouda

Re: Merry Christmas! ... First Attempt at Bacon!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 10:13:04 PM »
Instead of curing it in a regular zip lock bag, would a vacuum sealed bag be any better? Worth the extra effort?
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

Joe

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 12:49:33 PM »
Vacuum sealing works best for me; worth the effort.  Just put a quick seal on them so they have some room to move around a bit in the bag with the juices. I put a double seal on each end to prevent any leaking. 

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 01:08:59 AM »
The bellies at my Costco are around 10 pounds. I cut them in half for curing/smoking. Sometimes in thirds so the slabs will fit my slicer. You don't want a tight bag, so leave some space in there when you seal it. I like to squish the bag around and redistribute the cure when I flip it. I'm not sure about stacking the slabs after smoking in the fridge. I would try to keep some air space, but if you stack them, give them a flip every now and then.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SmokedGouda

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »
I should be able to make enough room in the fridge to leave them uncovered and not stacked. I picked up a slab today coming in a little over 11 lbs. I'm just waiting for the curing salt to get delivered from Amazon today and then I'll start the process using PB's cure recipe. I'll cut it in half or thirds to make it more manageable for myself. Here's a shot of the slab, I'll add some curing pics once I have them.

Ended up grabbing some pre seasoned ribs while at Costco too, so I'm gonna toss them on the smoker tomorrow and give that a try.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:10:19 PM by SmokedGouda »
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

SmokedGouda

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 05:16:44 PM »
Just finished getting it ready. Cut it in half, although next time I might do thirds since it would've made  it easier to control and place into the bags. I used Brian/Pork Belly's dry cure recipe and didn't really have enough leftover  to save. There was maybe a cup or so left on the pan. I put 1/2 cup maple syrup and 1/2 cup of brown sugar in each 2 gallon zip lock bag, 1/4 cup just didn't seem like it would coat enough so I doubled his recipe. (Hopefully that was ok.)

The next 7 days are going to go by so slow...

At least I have some ribs to smoke tomorrow to hold me over. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:45:48 PM by SmokedGouda »
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 11:36:54 PM »
Looks good! 

I picked up another park belly tonight, as well. Won't get into the brine until tomorrow though
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SmokedGouda

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 08:33:31 PM »
1 more day for the cure and then resting until the Sunday morning smoke!

Does anyone put more wood in for the hot smoke phase after removing the cold smoke plate? I'm planning on using 5-6 oz of sugar maple, cut into slivers for the roughly 4-5 hr cold smoke phase. I'm going to follow the on/off method that Kari uses.

I plan on brushing them with maple syrup after I remove the slabs from the smoker. Might sprinkle some black pepper on a little bit and some hot pepper flakes on some too, most will be left with no pepper.

I can't wait, I'm already drooling...
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 08:38:07 PM »
Man, Phil, you bacon guys and gals are killing me!  Now that my local Sam's has bellies, I HAVE to find time to do this!  Thank goodness these holidays are OVER!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SmokedGouda

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 08:22:27 PM »
Into the home stretch, curing is finished! I rinsed & dried each slab and put them in the fridge. I plan on leaving them there till Sunday morning, which will be about 36 hours.
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
Lookin' good! :)
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 08:58:26 PM »
Looks awesome! You are going to be in a bacon coma before you know it. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SmokedGouda

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 08:56:09 PM »
Getting ready, cut my wood chunks into slivers. 6oz that I'll use for the cold smoke phase. Not sure if I'll add more for the hot smoke yet. Maybe only like 2-2.5 oz if I do.
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 10:02:42 PM »
Looks great!  I just pulled half of my bacon out. Take a gander!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SmokedGouda

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 10:46:45 PM »
Those look great, awesome color! The plan is to let it rest 24 hours and obviously test some right away, but I'm afraid I'll just want to keep eating if it comes out looking like that!
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732