Author Topic: Anyone try Wagu ribeye roast?  (Read 4632 times)

Moscowbni

Anyone try Wagu ribeye roast?
« on: December 25, 2016, 04:05:16 AM »
Has anyone tried smoking wagu ribeye or strip loin beef roast?  Was wondering if there is too much fat, and if it would be a total waste.  Money aside, only considering taste.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 04:26:19 AM by Moscowbni »
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Anyone try Wagu ribeye roast?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 03:27:55 PM »
No, but I sure would if I could justify the price!  The fine marbling would make for one very tender ribeye roast!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Moscowbni

Re: Anyone try Wagyu roast?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 02:18:52 AM »
Picked up a an Australian Wagyu NY strip roast on sale the other day and popped it in the freezer.  Only (lol) about $13/pound (normal price is $50+/lb).  Local store has one day sales sometimes if their stock is nearing expiry and they have too much.  Fortunately I made friends with the butcher and he called me to tell me about the sale.  Lucky me. 

I'm working on getting up the courage to try smoking a 7 pound roast of this one of these weekends.  Need to be sure I get it right tho...don't want to waste it.  I've been more than happy with these steaks on the grill, not sure if it can get any better than that...but smoker I do have, and toys must be played with. I'll keep you guys posted.
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 04:10:32 PM »
Stephen, the only way to screw up a roast of any grade in the smoker is to totally miss the desired internal temperature. Heck, $2.99/lbs rump roasts taste great in the smoker.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 08:26:36 PM »
Stephen, check out the post (under Beef) on the reverse-sear prime rib...that is how to smoke that beauty!  Not only does it come out perfect, it's crazy simple!  Use slivers or chips, smoke at 200 until it reaches 128, then reverse-sear in a 500+° oven.  Perfect!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Moscowbni

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 08:45:38 AM »
Thanks Tony, tomorrow is the day I try it.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Cheers.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 11:22:30 AM »
Looking forward to reading about your results. All that marbling should yield a very juicy roast.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Moscowbni

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »
If anyone has any doubt about Tony's instructions posted at the top of this meat forum, don't.  I cooked my Wagu strip roast exactly per his instructions, abet, with my spices (lemon pepper, garlic salt, minced garlic, Montreal steak seasoning, and olive oil).  Smoker cook time was 4.5 hours for a 4kg roast. Funny thing was, like he says, it even took my oven 30 minutes to get to 500+ degrees before I could start the reverse sear (while the roast rested).

One side note tho, I think that I wrapped my roast a little too tight with the string.  Next time I'll try it a bit looser.  And, I used wood chunks with the bottom foil wrapped and the chip grate in as my wood is a bit dry.

However, it worked out great!  Thanks again Tony.

Pictures below for your enjoyment!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:00:07 PM by Moscowbni »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 10:42:10 AM »
That looks great!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Moscowbni

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 11:04:11 AM »
Just finished off the rest for dinner (the day after).  Sliced it thin for sandwiches.  Full smoked tast, and melt in your mouth.  Very nicely marbled.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
Stephen, that roast looks amazing!!  That process is so crazy-simple, and just never fails!  Really nice job!!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 06:42:31 PM »
Just finished off the rest for dinner (the day after).  Sliced it thin for sandwiches.  Full smoked tast, and melt in your mouth.  Very nicely marbled.
So in your opinion... does the price justify the product?  Very fine work on the roast.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

Moscowbni

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 01:26:03 AM »
So in your opinion... does the price justify the product?  Very fine work on the roast.
Well, as this was my first beef roast on the smoker, it is hard to tell. I guess that I'll have to try a normal cut of meat to compare and advise later.  But, I don't really think so. The Wagu is most noticeable in steaks. 

However, this is the first time I've been able to have such an evenly cooked roast, where the entire roast was cooked through medium rare, as opposed the middle pink, and the outside cooked well (what I seem to get from the oven).  Add that to the smoke flavor, and the simple spices, wow. 

So to sum it up, I am very impressed with what I ended up with, but am not convinced that the major contributor was the Wagu cut of meat...I think that it was actually the smoker.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 08:01:45 PM »
Stephen, if you smoke a USDA Prime, or even a good Choice, prime rib roast, it will be very juicy and fork tender.  I'm like you, I think the Wagu's extra cost would be bettered served as steaks.  When you do a Prime, you'll see what I mean.
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »
+1 for what Tony said but that turned out a great roast as it always does. Good eats!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN