Author Topic: gadget for dry aging  (Read 770 times)

icebob

• View Profile
gadget for dry aging
« on: December 20, 2016, 10:27:30 AM »
This is interesting... anyone try this yet?
https://thesteakager.com/
Bob from Cahokia, IL

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
    • View Profile
Re: gadget for dry aging
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »
I've seen either that or something similar. It might be right for people who have two large roasts going at the same time, but it takes up a lot of space in the refrigerator if you are doing just one at a time. I feel I have more flexibility with the Umai bags as to where to put the meat in the fridge. And even though it seems to take a lot of room in the fridge, the prime rib I have going right now in an Umai bag is 15 inches wide, so it wouldn't fit in the SteakAger (which is 13-3/8 inches wide). I'm also not thrilled about the little wire hanging out of the door the whole time. The other issue is cost. You'd have to buy a lot of Umai bags to get to $215. I think if you are someone who does a fair bit of dry aging (more than one going at a time), and you have a separate basement or garage fridge (I don't think anyone would want that in their main fridge), then it seems like it would be a nice Christmas gift!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:19:14 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (sous vide)

icebob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »
Just ordered one... will see how it goes...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

icebob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 12:10:03 PM »
started a 15.5 lbs NY strip Saturday... now waiting 45 days...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

dibiase

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »
Any updates on how it worked?  I've been using the umi bags since last year and I have done 3 large cuts of meat so far with great success.  I was ready to buy this product until I saw how small it was.  I usually buy my cuts of meat from Sams and it would never fit in this thing.  If they ever offer a larger size I'd probably pick one up.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D