Author Topic: Smoked Scallops  (Read 4780 times)

Durangosmoker

Smoked Scallops
« on: December 18, 2016, 06:35:02 PM »
I want to serve smoked scallops over greens as an appetizer for New Year's Eve, but not sure how to go about it.  I am thinking just a rub of salt and pepper, and then smoke on the rack at about 200 for about half an hour, then reverse sear. I don't have a cold smoke plate or an auber, or I would try to get it lower.

I might wait to put the scallops in until the smoker warms up and starts producing smoke. Is that a good idea?

Thinking of using alder, though would appreciate other suggestions.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Smoked Scallops
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 09:29:37 PM »
Let me know how it turns out, however you do it.  Been wanting to try scallops for a while now!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »
Eric, I'm interested in how this turns out. My 2ยข is that scallops are really delicate in flavor so your just using salt and pepper is great. I would also go light on the amount of wood so the smoke is not too heavy. Good luck!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 09:03:26 PM »
Salt, pepper, a dab of horse radish.   I'd bet an hour at 250 would do it.

In the oven mine take 1/2 hour at 400 bacon wrapped.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 11:52:27 AM »
I like my scallops kind of "medium" in the center, so for me, an hour at 250 would be overcooked. I agree with searing the scallops, and you just want to get some smoke on them without cooking them too much, so I would try setting your temp to 180 and see if you get good smoke. You are essentially cold-smoking. I don't think you have to wait until the smoker starts producing smoke to put them in. That should happen fairly quickly, before the box temp gets too high. Just make sure you are using chips, or thin slivers that you've shaved off a chunk. Not sure how long to smoke, but 30 minutes or so once the smoker starts producing smoke sounds like a good amount to try. Since you are basically cold-smoking, you could smoke them in advance (a few hours up to a day before your party), then wrap them in plastic wrap and put into the fridge until ready to sear. The rest in the fridge wrapped in plastic would help mellow the smoke, and help it penetrate a bit.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:57:16 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 01:29:30 PM »
This seems like a good scenario where an A-MAZE-N cold smoker would work perfectly.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 01:41:28 PM »
I actually have an amazn-smoker that I have never used... Scallops might be an expensive way to experiment with it, though.

Kari, thanks for your suggestions, especially about using chips rather than chunks. I hadn't thought about that, and it makes perfect sense. I, too, think an hour at 250 would be too much, especially with a sear at the end. I like the idea of smoking them beforehand, too!

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 04:07:49 PM »
I actually have an amazn-smoker that I have never used... Scallops might be an expensive way to experiment with it, though.

Kari, thanks for your suggestions, especially about using chips rather than chunks. I hadn't thought about that, and it makes perfect sense. I, too, think an hour at 250 would be too much, especially with a sear at the end. I like the idea of smoking them beforehand, too!

The tricky part will be keeping your box temp as low as possible, while still producing smoke. And not cooking your scallops during the smoke process. I have a cold smoke plate, so that makes it easier. I'm starting to wonder if just setting it to 180 might still cook your scallops too much, even after 30 minutes (it probably would not get to 180 in that time). Ideally for cold smoking you'd want to keep your box temp below 100. I'm going to assume you do not have a D model, and you do not have a cold smoke plate. You could try putting a pan of ice on one rack. Turn the smoker on, and as soon as you start seeing good smoke production, turn the dial to OFF. Wait about 45 minutes. Evaluate whether you got about 30 minutes of smoke. Then decide if you want to open the door, cool it off, refresh the ice, and run another cycle, or if you got good smoke from the first cycle.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
I assume you are using big meaty diver scallops. You might consider a brine instead of salt and pepper.

if you plan on searing them, why smoke at 200? You will get plenty of smoke from chips at 100. You may want to bump the heat with the door open to start the smoke then drop the heat and add the meat.

This is the link to a post I did on seafood, maybe something in it will help.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1830.msg10786#msg10786

Good luck.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 07:53:41 PM »
I like the idea of running the smoker with the door open until you start getting good smoke. Put the scallops in, turn it off, and close the door. After 30 to 45 minutes, repeat if necessary. Might not have to. Scallops have a very delicate flavor, so they don't need a lot of smoke.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:08:11 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 08:01:53 PM »
Just set the smoker for 100 and let it run. there is no need to turn it off. My SI #3 runs for hours on end at 100, making gentle smoke from chips. The only reason to run it hot then turn it down is if your chips are not completely dry, having the heat cranked jump starts the smoke.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 08:07:13 PM »
Just set the smoker for 100 and let it run. there is no need to turn it off. My SI #3 runs for hours on end at 100, making gentle smoke from chips. The only reason to run it hot then turn it down is if your chips are not completely dry, having the heat cranked jump starts the smoke.

Give that a try. Just keep an eye on smoke production. If your chips produce too much heat or combust, your element might not turn back on for a period of time, and the chips will fizzle out for a while. It's a fine line at 100. But it's the easiest scenario if you can get some good smoke going.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:10:27 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »
So what I did was to smoke them at 200 for an hour, with two oz of beechnut that I had chopped into pieces with a hatchet (so bigger than chips, but not one big chunk). The scallops came out cooked through but not dry at all. Did a quick sear (25 seconds per side) for color more than anything else. Smoke flavor was a bit strong at first, but mellowed overnight in the fridge.  Plated over arugula with a squirt of hollandaise sauce.

SconnieQ

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 10:02:35 PM »
Beautiful New Year's table setting! Your scallops look great, just like a fancy restaurant. 3 forks and a spork means a great meal on the way...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:04:52 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 05:33:30 PM »
Thanks, Kari. The charger is actually more of a garnet red, not that pink that came out in the picture. But the meal was great, and the scallops were a worthy first course. Happy New Year, everyone!