Author Topic: Ring Bologna First Try  (Read 8342 times)

IRGoode

Re: Ring Bologna First Try
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
I am making the ring bologna today. Gregg, did you use the smoked meat stabilizer with yours? I bought some but I'm not sure if I will use it. I don't want it to end up too salty. How salty did your bologna turn out? This sure looks like a lot of seasoning for 12lbs of meat.
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 10:20:49 PM »
I am making the ring bologna today. Gregg, did you use the smoked meat stabilizer with yours? I bought some but I'm not sure if I will use it. I don't want it to end up too salty. How salty did your bologna turn out? This sure looks like a lot of seasoning for 12lbs of meat.

No, I didn't use the Smoked Meat Stabilizer because I hung my bologna overnight in the garage. The Smoked Meat Stabilizer allows you to smoke right away rather than let the meat cure overnight in the fridge or on your sausage rack. If you are going to refridgerate and smoke tomorrow, it is not needed.

Mine actually did turn out a bit salty, so error on the side of less than more I would say. But, I forgot to weigh my pork after deboning. I was close, but may have underestimating making mine a little too salty.

I quick whipped up a Seasoning Calculator that may help with your measuring issue:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqanuXw3q_HboewUgcbC1p-atNn4vg

PM me if you have troubles downloading or using it. All you need to do is enter your meat block amount in pounds. Then enter the amount of seasoning (in ounces) that your mix requires per 25lbs of meat.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »
FYI, Austin did a really nice job of going over all of the meat additives that you can use in your sausages and snack sticks listed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-3vZygdVvM&t
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

IRGoode

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 10:57:50 PM »
Seen your post a little late. I used the recommended amount of seasoning. Good but a little salty. At least that's what my friends said while they ate a pound of it. Don't think it will last long.
Thanks for your initial detailed post. I'm not going to make another bologna post because I pretty much just copied your process. I did do the reverse fan method on these but that was the only difference.
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 01:16:24 AM »
They look awesome! The salinity does mellow a little bit as it ages.
Gregg - Fargo, ND