Author Topic: Coldest outdoor temp you have smoked at?  (Read 6659 times)

ZoomByU

Re: Coldest outdoor temp you have smoked at?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 10:26:13 AM »
A zip lock bag or a small cooler over the top of it, wrap in a towel with one of those hand warmer packs might be a possibility that would be worth exploring. I did notice that after transmitter was out in cold for a while the display was getting slow and hard to see. I don't think around zero would be a concern, but when colder, I worry about what it could do to transmitter.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:27:58 AM by ZoomByU »
Greg - ND
Model 2, Maverick ET-733

ZoomByU

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »
So for those of you with a Maverick ET-733, this is what the transmitter looks like inside. Thought there may possibly be a rheostat for calibrating temps of each side so I could get same temps with same probe side to side. Nothing I see would indicate an easy way to do that. I will number them according to when they are the closest in temperature. They are 2 degrees different when plugged in one way and 4 degrees different when plugged in the other way. Not exactly the quality control I would like, but it should get me close enough for good eats.
Greg - ND
Model 2, Maverick ET-733

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 09:40:28 PM »
So for those of you with a Maverick ET-733 ... They are 2 degrees different when plugged in one way and 4 degrees different when plugged in the other way. Not exactly the quality control I would like, but it should get me close enough for good eats.

Are you using the straight probes that came with it or the replacement curved probes?  I had really bizarre problems with the straight probes.  Got some replacements and they're doing great so far.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

ZoomByU

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 01:52:12 PM »
Still using the original straight probes that came with it. I did place them in empty smoker to see differences when bringing up the heat. As temps came up they were as much as 8-9 degrees apart, but after the temperature stabilized in smoker, they were back to the 2 degree difference I started with. I figure I will wait on getting another probe until one fails because I can always use remaining one for meat temperature. (The advantage of having 2 probes). I am more comfortable about the smoker cook temp now that I have done a few smokes. In reality, unless something goes wrong the smoker, temp should be pretty consistent.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:59:35 PM by ZoomByU »
Greg - ND
Model 2, Maverick ET-733

ZoomByU

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »
Didn't get pictures of pulled pork. It disappeared pretty quick. Thanks to DM for his brine recipe. Brother-in-Law said I need to make some more! I agree, but am going to do a brisket before I get back to another butt. Am still learning lots about smoking and brining; from this forum and experiences.

A good read on brining is http://virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html#salt. You may not agree with everything, but I definitely learned a few things.
Greg - ND
Model 2, Maverick ET-733