Author Topic: First cook! Ribs  (Read 4485 times)

jmhobbs

• My Blog
First cook! Ribs
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:58:32 PM »
Just started my first smoke after seasoning, a lonely rack of St. Louis cut ribs.

Going to hard not to peek, wish me luck!
John from Omaha, Nebraska

Smokin-It Model #3

Grampy

Re: First cook! Ribs
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
Good choice! St. Louis spares are one of my favorites!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

drains

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »
Looking good so far. It will be worth the wait.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

jmhobbs

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 07:58:06 PM »
They came out amazing! So happy!

Smokin-It Model #3

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:51:47 PM »
Gotta love some ribs from the SI!!!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »
They look great! You don't need the drip pan on the rack below the ribs. Just cover the top of the wood box with foil. A drip pan on a rack can sometimes interfere with smoke/heat circulation. It looks like there is some space around it, so maybe it's okay. I'm not sure. I don't have a #3. I defer to the other #3 owners here. Unless you are using that as your water pan. A water pan should actually be on the floor of the smoker, snugged up against the side of the wood box. A disposable bread pan works nicely.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 10:46:30 AM »
They look great! You don't need the drip pan on the rack below the ribs. Just cover the top of the wood box with foil. A drip pan on a rack can sometimes interfere with smoke/heat circulation. It looks like there is some space around it, so maybe it's okay. I'm not sure. I don't have a #3. I defer to the other #3 owners here. Unless you are using that as your water pan. A water pan should actually be on the floor of the smoker, snugged up against the side of the wood box. A disposable bread pan works nicely.

Kari is right on. Outside of the Smokin-It #4 that has so much vertical space, I would not use a drip pan for anything. Add a disposable mini loaf pan filled with your liquid of choice (preferably prewarmed) and place on the floor of the smoker rested right up against the smoke box at its hottest point.

If you have not discovered your hot/cold spots, it may be worth your while. All smokers have hot and cold spots front to back in their smoke box. I think most find that their hot spot is toward the back of their smoke box and cold spot toward the front with medium temp in the middle. But, I have heard of others that are different.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 11:31:52 AM »
Looks good John! How did they taste? We're into full disclosure here...  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

ibbones

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »
Did you peek?  It's really hard not to, isn't it? 8)
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

jmhobbs

• My Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 07:04:32 PM »
It was actually my water pan, I didn't have anything disposable that was smaller, I'll definitely pick up some loaf pans for the future.

They tasted great, it was a new rub and glaze for me from "Project Smoke". The glaze had a touch of vanilla which I really liked. The ribs had just enough chew too.

It does seem like the hotter spots are towards the back, got more pull back on that end.

And I successfully didn't peek!

Smokin-It Model #3

Jumanji

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 08:42:43 AM »
Man, those look great.  Good catch on noting the hotter areas via the more pullback on the ribs.  For the veteran smokers, is there anything you do about that?  Not sure you would want to open the smoker and swap the rack end-for-end during mid smoke?
Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

TexasSMK

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 09:40:14 AM »
Had Ribs yesterday--one of my favorites.  Great job!
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 07:39:26 PM »
Man, those look great.  Good catch on noting the hotter areas via the more pullback on the ribs.  For the veteran smokers, is there anything you do about that?  Not sure you would want to open the smoker and swap the rack end-for-end during mid smoke?

I don't think there is any reason to rotate racks end-for-end. The temp difference is not that great. Ribs are very forgiving. Position the thicker end of the ribs toward the back. I don't even think there is any reason to rotate racks top to bottom. Even with my #1. I just put the thicker ribs on the rack below the thinner ribs.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 06:50:56 PM »

I don't think there is any reason to rotate racks end-for-end. The temp difference is not that great. Ribs are very forgiving. Position the thicker end of the ribs toward the back. I don't even think there is any reason to rotate racks top to bottom. Even with my #1. I just put the thicker ribs on the rack below the thinner ribs.

+1 Assuming that your hotspot is in the back of your smoker. I know mine is and I think most are, but I have seen some that say that their hot spot is in the front.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.