Author Topic: Problem with 3D Button  (Read 911 times)

Chris633

• View Profile
Problem with 3D Button
« on: November 28, 2016, 12:10:24 PM »
Hey all, I was hoping to get some feedback on an issue that recently popped up with my 3D. The last couple of smokes, the "+" button has been intermittently non-responsive. All other buttons work fine. Two smokes ago, when I turned on the smoker, the "+"did not work until a couple of minutes after it was on. Then it worked without issue. My most recent smoke, it worked fine on start up. However, over 12hrs into the smoke, I wanted to change a setting and it was again not working. I powered the smoker on and off a couple of times and it still didn't work. I just powered in on a few minutes ago and it was like the first time: non-responsive at first and then began working after about a minute.

Is this an issues folks have encountered before? Thanks! Chris
Chris - Stirling NJ
3D (newbie smoker)

old sarge

• View Profile
Re: Problem with 3D Button
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 08:09:08 PM »
I've not had any problem like you describe.  As a matter of fact, no problems with my 3D controller at all.
David from Arizona
SI 3D
CS 066 (retired to my son's home)
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
US Army 70 - 95

DivotMaker

• Administrator
  • Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 10:30:54 PM »
That's a new one on my, Chris!  I have used 3 different Auber standalone units, the 2D and 3D, and have never had a button malfunction.  You might want to give Steve a call, and see what he thinks.  I don't recall anyone else posting anything like this here, but there's a first for everything!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Chris633

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 07:02:06 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! I searched the forum before posting and didn't find anything. So I had a suspicion that it may be a malfunction, but I wanted to be sure I didn't just miss anything. The problem seemed to coincide with the weather getting colder. However it's not that cold yet here in NJ. So I wasn't sure. I'll reach out to Steve and keep folks posted.
Chris - Stirling NJ
3D (newbie smoker)

DivotMaker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:09:54 PM »
Thanks Chris!  I've used Aubers well-below freezing, so this one has me stumped!  May be as simple as a bad board in the controller, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.  Let us know what Steve thinks.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Chris633

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 11:39:55 PM »
Just wanted to post a quick update. I checked with Steve regarding the problem. I had to detach the digital controller and send it in for repair. They will be replacing the digital board. It went out in the mail yesterday. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long and can get back to smoking soon!
Chris - Stirling NJ
3D (newbie smoker)

DivotMaker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »
Let us know how it works out, Chris!  Sorry you had a problem with it!  That's a rare one...
Tony from NW Arkansas

Chris633

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »
I sent it out on a Monday and got it back that very next Friday of the same week! I could get over how fast the turnaround was. I expected to have to wait at least a week before I was up and going again. I ended up doing three smokes this last weekend without any issues.
Chris - Stirling NJ
3D (newbie smoker)

ibbones

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 12:09:43 PM »
I sent it out on a Monday and got it back that very next Friday of the same week! I could get over how fast the turnaround was. I expected to have to wait at least a week before I was up and going again. I ended up doing three smokes this last weekend without any issues.
I bet that was a sigh of relief.  Glad it went well.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D