Author Topic: Post-Thanksgiving Brined & Smoked Turkey  (Read 3702 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Post-Thanksgiving Brined & Smoked Turkey
« on: November 25, 2016, 07:58:16 PM »
This seems to be a trend, with me.  One of these days, I might actually get to smoke a turkey on Thanksgiving day!  At any rate, duty called yesterday, but I'm off this weekend!

This picture is not a trash can...  There is actually a 14.5 lb turkey doing some scuba diving in that cooler!  I used my regular poultry brine, but changed things up a bit.  First off, I went with fresh garlic cloves (chunked) instead of granulated garlic powder.  This is 3 gallons of brine, so I used about 7 (a total guess on the "right" amount).  Next, I added 1 cup of dark brown sugar (1/3 cup per gallon), and fresh ginger slices.  The brown sugar and ginger are for Kari!  The brine smells really good!

I'm going to give the bird a 12 hour bath, then rinse well and let rest in the fridge for about 4 hours (to dry the skin a bit).  It'll go in the smoker around 10 am tomorrow, most-likely with a mix of hickory and cherry.  Of course, it will be filled with mire poix!

Can't wait!  More to follow tomorrow!! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ibbones

Re: Post-Thanksgiving Brined & Smoked Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 10:49:20 AM »
Tony, I am curious about the ginger.  I read that thread and really want another person to try it and give it a thumbs up or down.  I guess I need to just try it myself on a small yard bird.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 03:16:39 PM »
Bones, the sliced ginger smells incredible; I'm hoping I notice the taste.  It has kind of a citrus smell to it, but different.  The bird went in the smoke at 11 am, and is sitting at 144.  I also added some fresh basil, thyme and apple to the mire poix this time! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Papa Rick

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 08:48:35 PM »
Tony, looking forward to the results from the different items you did the brine with.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 01:44:19 PM »
The results are in!  The turkey took 4:15 to smoke, and came out great!  I honestly couldn't identify any particular flavor, among all the extra ingredients added to the brine or mire poix, but the combination was really good!  It was the best-tasting turkey I've ever done.

What I learned is it's OK to experiment with different ingredients in the brine, and (if you choose), what you stuff in the bird.  The combination added great flavor, but nothing "stood out," which is the way it should be (imo).  You don't want any overpowering tastes, just a flavorful blend.

Sorry no additional pics - we were too busy eating!  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 03:36:49 PM »
I agree. Each element adds its flavor, but you shouldn't necessarily be able to identify any one thing, or it overpowers the other flavors. It's an overall balanced flavor you want to go for.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 05:22:36 PM »
That's one tasty looking bird, Tony!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Nimrod

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »
That's one tasty looking bird, Tony!

+1
Makes me want to pick up another one for next weekend
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 10:28:06 PM »
Thanks, Eric and Dave!  It was a good bird, if I do say so myself! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas