Author Topic: Honeysuckle turkey breast.  (Read 2877 times)

Kutch98

Honeysuckle turkey breast.
« on: November 24, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
So thanks to DM and Kari for your inputs.  This thing came out fantastic.  Only thing I wish I had done different was cut the salt for the brine in half, could really taste it in the meat. Even still, the brine DM posted for turkey along with fresh herbs I added was great (from Kari I think) and the Mire mix I think worked out great as well.  Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Jake, Alamogordo, NM/Effingham, IL
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Honeysuckle turkey breast.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 10:28:03 PM »
Looks good, Jake!  Everyone has a different tolerance for salt, I guess.  I use the same ratio, even on injected (6-8% solution) birds, and have never thought them "too salty."  Find what works for you, and repeat it! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 12:12:32 AM »
I've never found turkeys or chicken too salty either in the full strength brine, and I've made the Honeysuckle breasts. How long did you brine it for? You could reduce the salt, or reduce the brine time.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Kutch98

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 08:44:18 PM »
I think it was around 9 hours in the brine? I might be off by 30-40 minutes one way or the other.
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

Papa Rick

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 08:53:03 PM »
Jake, I did 3 Turkey Breast for Turkey Day and did cut my Brine Salt in half and it came out tasting as if it need a pinch more in it after cooking?  Instead of a full cup, next time I will do 3/4 cup of salt.  Mine were Honeysuckle and brined two of them 8 hours and one I left in the Honeysuckle bag brine it came in.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

Kutch98

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 10:09:02 PM »
It might have just been some of the outer pieces.  As I continue to eat the leftovers Im not noticing it as much. 
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married