Author Topic: Container Max Size?  (Read 3298 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Container Max Size?
« on: November 24, 2016, 12:13:02 PM »
Does anyone know how large of a container or what the volume of water can an Anova Precision Cooker Wifi model heat consistently?

I've been searching the Anova site but can't find my answer. I'm going to cook 8 big Ribeyes soon and that many won't fit in a 12 qt cambro container. Although, I do have a large polycarbonate deep container, which is the size of a chafing dish but deep... Around 8" deep. (It's a Winco 27qt) Just not sure if my Anova can handle heating that volume of water?  Anyone know?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:30:29 PM by Libohunden »
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Re: Container Max Size?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 08:00:49 PM »
I've done a full 5 gallon home depot bucket for a packer brisket and it worked just fine.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 11:13:46 PM »
I think it most likely can. Try filling it up with water and run it without meat and see if it maintains. The meat shouldn't make any difference. If you can add a little insulation, like wrap with towels (or something else) somehow, that will probably make it run more efficiently and reduce heat loss.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 10:22:41 PM »
I've used it in a 22 qt Cambro poly container with no problem.  Takes longer to heat, so starting with hot water helps a lot, but maintains easy, once the water is heated.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 04:02:20 PM »
I forgot to mention that the Anova was able to heat and maintain my 27 quart container with no problem whatsoever.  6 massive aged prime ribeyes impressed our guests so much that Anova's inventory went down by at least 2 units that night!

I'll update with pictures later.  Although, I don't believe that I got any "after" pics.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas