Author Topic: Water is the pan  (Read 2330 times)

Finally Smokin

Water is the pan
« on: November 24, 2016, 10:31:54 AM »
Should I smoke a turkey with some water in the pan or leave pan out of smoker. smoker?
Roland
Spring Lake, NC

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Water is the pan
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »
I use water with the understanding that the skin is not going to be eaten. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Finally Smokin

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »
Thank you I did you some water for moisture content.  I figured the skin would not be crispy enough to eat anyway.
Roland
Spring Lake, NC

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 11:29:26 PM »
I don't think it hurts to use a water pan if you don't plan on eating the skin. I think the skin is inedible either way. I'm not sure if the water pan benefits poultry that much either. It seems to stay pretty darn moist without it. I didn't use a water pan today, but I thought about doing it. My turkey was very moist without the water pan. The dog was happy with the skin.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 10:20:19 PM »
I know this is late, but I never use a water pan with skin-on poultry.  First, I fill the cavity with mire poix (equal parts chopped onion, celery and carrots), so the moisture comes from the veggies, internally.  Secondly, the skin is a natural moisture barrier.  External moisture is not going to penetrate the skin, so why bother?  Skinless?  Yes, a water pan is useful.  Skin-on? ...Not so much.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!