Author Topic: Whole Turkey Smoking Time per Pound at 250?  (Read 7335 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Whole Turkey Smoking Time per Pound at 250?
« on: November 18, 2016, 04:04:56 PM »
I'm smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving. I normally don't worry about the exact time it smokes, since I'm usually flexible as to when it is done. More drinks and alcohol if it takes longer, no problem! But this year, I want to time it fairly close. In the published "smoking guide", it says 6.5 hours at 250 for a 12 pound bird. Does it really take that long??? DM Tony's "Post-Thanksgiving Smoked Turkey" post pinned to the top of the poultry section says it took 3:45 for a 14 pound turkey at 250. What are the other experiences per pound at 250? I'm sorry to say, I've done many turkeys, but never paid much attention to the time. When it was done, it was done, and I had a lot of flexibility. But I don't think it took anywhere near 6.5 hours.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:01:43 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

Re: Whole Turkey Smoking Time per Pound at 250?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »
I've only done one whole turkey, but it took 5 hours for a 12.5 lb. brined turkey to get to 160 at 250 degrees. I figured carryover cooking would bring it up the final 5 degrees. Then wrapped and rest in the cooler.  Turned out great.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 05:45:54 PM »
My experience has averaged about 25 minutes per pound.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

prudentsmoker

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 08:02:40 AM »
Here is how I do it-
Normal cook time is 20 minutes/lb @ 350
Since you have a 12# turkey you take 12*20=240
Since we are calculating at 350 you take 240*350=84000
Since you want to know the minutes at 250 you take 84000/250=336 (minutes)
To convert to hours you take the 336/60=5.6 hours
I have used this formula for years.
Hope it helps.
Brian from Wichita

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 11:02:16 AM »
Here is how I do it-
Normal cook time is 20 minutes/lb @ 350
Since you have a 12# turkey you take 12*20=240
Since we are calculating at 350 you take 240*350=84000
Since you want to know the minutes at 250 you take 84000/250=336 (minutes)
To convert to hours you take the 336/60=5.6 hours
I have used this formula for years.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for the formula! I'm starting to remember it was somewhere around 5-6 hours for a 14 lb turkey. So the smoking guide is probably pretty close. I should have written it down. I will this time. I'm going to keep that formula on file.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

prudentsmoker

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 11:05:16 AM »
You are most welcome. I have cooked turkeys in the oven at 190 (using the formula) that did not require basting and were the moistest I have ever had.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 04:45:09 PM »
That one was done quick, Kari...not sure why!  I usually budget 5 hours, but they are normally done in less than that (for 14 lbs).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 07:24:08 PM »
Okay. Think I'm going to budget 5 hours for a 14 lb turkey at 250. That sounds about right. A little over or a little under should work out fine. Appetizers of steamed mussels, shrimp cocktail, and deviled eggs (of course) should keep people busy, giving me plenty of wiggle room. My traditional Thanksgiving appetizer line-up. Gonna use DM's brine, with the addition of sliced ginger, 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns, 1 tablespoon allspice berries, and brown sugar. I like brown sugar in poultry brine, but I know not everyone does. Mire poix with onion, apple, celery, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, fresh sage, fresh parsley stems (fresh herbs from the garden). Mire poix will not be consumed with the turkey, but will go into a pot with the carcass for smoked turkey stock, which I will use for future smoked turkey chili.

I should probably post my smoked turkey chili recipe. It's my own creation, inspired by "white" poultry chili's, with roasted poblanos and tomatillos and such. Can be made with smoked chicken leftovers too. Not a traditional red tomato chili.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:01:30 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 02:24:49 PM »
"I should probably post my smoked turkey chili recipe. It's my own creation, inspired by "white" poultry chili's, with roasted poblanos and tomatillos and such. Can be made with smoked chicken leftovers too. Not a traditional red tomato chili."

Please do post it. It sounds delicious.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 03:36:49 PM »
"I should probably post my smoked turkey chili recipe. It's my own creation, inspired by "white" poultry chili's, with roasted poblanos and tomatillos and such. Can be made with smoked chicken leftovers too. Not a traditional red tomato chili."

Please do post it. It sounds delicious.

Okay. Will post in the next few days.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 09:33:54 PM »
Sounds wonderful, Kari!  Just a note... the only reason I don't use sugar (brown or white) in this poultry brine is that the orange juice provides it.  The natural sugar replaces brown sugar.  Keep that in mind, and go easy on the additional sugar.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 11:46:48 PM »
Sounds wonderful, Kari!  Just a note... the only reason I don't use sugar (brown or white) in this poultry brine is that the orange juice provides it.  The natural sugar replaces brown sugar.  Keep that in mind, and go easy on the additional sugar.

Good point. I didn't consider that. I will probably still add some brown sugar. I like quite a bit of sugar in my brines (for poultry and pork anyway, not for beef).
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 08:34:10 PM »
Shoot, Kari, since we're trying new things, I'll add a little brown sugar to mine to see what it's like!  I'm not brining until Friday, and turkey day on Saturday... gotta work tomorrow.. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 12:27:56 AM »
Shoot, Kari, since we're trying new things, I'll add a little brown sugar to mine to see what it's like!  I'm not brining until Friday, and turkey day on Saturday... gotta work tomorrow.. :(

I usually do 1 cup brown sugar per 1 cup salt and 1 gallon water for poultry. I know it sounds like quite a lot, but it doesn't make it "sweet" necessarily. Because of the orange juice, I used 1/2 cup brown sugar for this one.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 11:02:21 AM »
Kari, I am intrigued with the chili recipe. Can't wait!!!  ;) Happy Thanksgiving all!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN