Author Topic: 3 butts  (Read 2954 times)

dannyboy

3 butts
« on: November 14, 2016, 10:39:33 PM »
I have to smoke 3 butts for a youth group meal for Sat. Can I do all 3 at once in my number 2? If so how much wood do I need for 3?   The total weight is right at 20 lb.
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 3 butts
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »
Danny, you won't fit 3 in a #2.  It's not about weight, but all about volume.  Three butts are just too large to fit.  I would recommend 2 and 1, in separate smokes, or 3 separate smokes.  If you have a vacuum sealer, they reheat great!  Even if you just double-wrap in HD foil, and keep all three in the fridge, you can reheat them on serving day.  Logistically speaking, 3 just won't fit at once.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dannyboy

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 02:57:18 AM »
Thanks Tony that's what I needed to know so I can plan my time this week.
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

gregor

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 02:46:08 PM »
I did 4 butts for a work meal, so I did 2 and 2.

I stored the meat in ziploc bags and used a small electric roasting pan to reheat gently.  Folks loved it!

Papa Rick

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 09:31:10 AM »
I did 4 butts at one time and they turned out GREAT!  Though I will admit I was very nervous and concerned about them to start with and posted on here about them.  But will not hesitate to do them again next time around.  I have a post on here about this showing couple of the problems I ran into with this, but in the end they turned out great!   

Got them from Sams as always.  Two were 15.38 lbs, put on the 2nd shelf from the bottom and then two were 13.98 lbs and placed 2 shelf from the top.  Total weight was 29.36 pounds.

Brined them 8 hours (or should say my wife did) with the brine solution that is on here, set the temp at 235.  Using Hickory and maple for wood.  Put them in at 12:48 a.m.

This is the link to my results:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5362.0
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:34:28 AM by Papa Rick »
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker