Author Topic: Another new Thermometer - Lavatools Carbon Lite  (Read 4106 times)

jmkdae

Another new Thermometer - Lavatools Carbon Lite
« on: November 12, 2016, 08:57:20 AM »
Saw this one through an email from the website Serious Eats. Looks like it has a lot of features for sure. Having an ambient sensor on the probe could be great but if you had a big piece to smoke it might not be accurate.

Link in the email:

https://lavatools.co/products/carbon-lite?utm_source=seriouseats&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=q4_se_promo&utm_term=carbon_lite

Discount code from the email: "Now, you can get 18% off your purchase here with promo code 16SETREAT. "

Ordered one. I have the Lavatools instant read thermometer and it has been solid. The price is certainly right on this one after discount. I have a Maverick today but the setup on it just seems overly complicated.

Jim from NW Arkansas
Smokin-it #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Another new Thermometer - Lavatools Carbon Lite
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »
Looks interesting for $50, plus a discount.

Would be nice to have at least one extra probe though.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 12:09:03 PM »
Yeah, more probes would be nice. You'd have to just buy more whole units, but I'm not sure if more than one would work with the app. Even though the bluetooth range says 115 feet, I'm skeptical it would keep a connection in my house. Must be my walls or something. I'd prefer if it were Wifi, and cloud, so I could monitor it from the other side of the earth. The app looks like it is Apple products only right now, which is fine with me because that's what I have, but I'm sure a lot of people have Androids or other. Looks like a great replacement for a Maverick though. Does everything a Maverick does, plus has an app. And for less money. Don't know why Maverick hasn't jumped on any new technology. They are going to lose their market share in a hurry with all of the new products coming out.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

prudentsmoker

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 08:27:16 PM »
Just ordered 1. Thanks for sharing.
Brian from Wichita

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
Just ordered 1. Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to a review.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

prudentsmoker

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »
Just tried it out on a butt and it worked fine. It has numerous settings for various meats, however it did not have a setting for 190, but it was easy enough to key in permanently. The sending unit has a green LED in it that turns red when it hits temp and you can also have an alarm go off on your iPhone. Another nice thing is that it estimates the time to completion. No regrets.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:27:26 PM »
Looks like a good single-probe unit, Brian.  I'm like Kari, thought...never had good luck with BT!  I'm WiFi, or good ol' radio frequency (like the Maverick).  Great it works for you, though!  Good deal!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!