Author Topic: Is this the correct cut of meat for Prime Rib?  (Read 3165 times)

LBC LazyQ

Is this the correct cut of meat for Prime Rib?
« on: November 06, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »
I went to Sam's yesterday to eyeball my next smoke for Thanksgiving.  I would like to do a prime rib and copy DM's recipe here.  I walked all around the fairly large meat section and only found the attached picture that looked like what you guys have been posting.  I decided to ask the "butcher" at Sams and told her I wanted to smoke the correct meat to make prime rib.  She ended up showing me a package of sliced tri tip and I walked away shaking my head from her recommendation.  So... can you guys give me the scoop on how Sam's labels their standing rib roast.  I don't want to spend $70 and smoke the wrong meat.  Thanks.
Steve from Warwick, NY
Smokin-it Model 2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Is this the correct cut of meat for Prime Rib?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 03:10:14 PM »
Steve, that looks to be what you want. Was that roast with or without bones? If with bones, see if they will butterfly the roast away from the bones for you.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

LBC LazyQ

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 11:39:44 AM »
Thanks.  I believe it was boneless.
Steve from Warwick, NY
Smokin-it Model 2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 01:00:17 PM »
I haven's smoked one of these before, but I am pretty sure that Tony prefers the roasts that are bone-in. From my memory, he cuts the roast away from the bone, but leaving it partially intact, seasons it and then ties it back up. The bones provide a heat barrier that allows the roast to smoke more evenly.

This is totally from my memory and I am sure that Tony will chime in later today. But, I think if you read his posts, he talks about this too.

If all your Sam's Club has is boneless, I think it will still work though. I would ask the butcher if they have any bone-in Rib Roasts. Hopefully, you'll find someone that knows what they are doing better than the person you talked to the first time.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 05:22:06 PM »
Costco sells a boneless roast and a semi attached bone roast.  I've cooked both and both turnout excellent.  Hard to not like smoked prime rib if you get your internal temp right. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »
I've found that you are pretty much on your own when buying meat at places like Sam's or Costco. The people in the meat department know very little about cuts of meat. I don't know about Sam's, but there is no butcher to do any sort of special order trimming, removing the bone etc. at Costco. You get what what they have. That being said, Sam's and Costco have the best quality meat, at the best price, hands down. At Costco, they are labeled "Ribeye Roast", similar to your picture. Costco carries either Choice or Prime. Either bone-in or boneless. Last time I bought one, I bought boneless, and it was great too. I'd rather have bone-in, but I felt they were charging way to much for the bone. I think bone-in was only about 20 cents less per pound than boneless, and in my opinion, bone-in should be at least $1 less per pound that boneless.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 10:59:48 PM »
Hey Steve,

The ones I like a bone-in.  They are labeled as such.  Boneless will work, in a pinch, so long as you smoke it low and slow at 200.  Get it to 128 internal temp, then reverse-sear in the oven.  It should turn out great.

My Sam's has some pretty good folks in the meat shop, apparently unlike yours!  Tri-tip steaks?  Really??  Wow!  Seems like my Sam's will start getting the bone-in Prime Ribs in pretty soon.  I've also had great success with the USDA Choice bone-ins from WalMart, believe it or not!  Personally, I find Choice is just as good as the premium-priced Prime, as long as you smoke it the way I do.  Long, low and slow, and it's tender as can be, and perfectly pink from edge to edge!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!