Author Topic: First smoke! Salmon  (Read 4597 times)

Moscowbni

First smoke! Salmon
« on: November 04, 2016, 02:07:58 PM »
Ok, I've finally had time to start my smoking experience here in Kuwait with my 2d.  First attempt at smoked salmon came out perfectly. So moist, and full of flavor.  Basic 1 :  3.5 salt:brown sugar, fridge overnight. Sprinkled a bit of brown sugar on the top, and then 2.5 oz cherry chips and let it rip. 190 till it hit 140.

Easy👏
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: First smoke! Salmon
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »
Looks pretty good. Nice job!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

ibbones

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 11:52:17 AM »
Dang...that looks good.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Nimrod

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 02:20:08 PM »
Great looking salmon Stephen.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

Durangosmoker

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »
That's making me drool.  Nice job!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 10:10:50 PM »
Nice job, Stephen! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jumanji

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 08:55:22 AM »
Did you use the temperature probe, to know when it hit 140 deg F?

Oh, and is the salmon skin-on, or has the skin been removed?  On the gas grill, I always leave the skin on to keep the fillet moist.  Easy to slide a spatula in between skin and meat to remove while serving.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:05:49 AM by Jumanji »
Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

Moscowbni

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 01:16:03 PM »
Yes, used temp probe and left skin on.
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

Jumanji

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 07:23:35 PM »
So you skipped the salt curing, cleaning, pellicle formation steps, and just went with a rub overnight?  When I do my salmon on the gas grill, just give it a quick rinse, pat dry, and sprinkle with blackened redfish season.  Leave it in the fridge for a few hours to let the seasoning soak in, then on to the pit.  Skin on.  Cook to 130 deg internal temp.  Just did some last night, and it turned out great.  Didn't really think about doing it on the smoker, until I read your account.  I need to read up on more stuff.  A newbie as well.  Only one smoke in to ownership.

We lived in Alaska for four years.  Got really used to having fresh salmon available for at least a few months out of the year.  And got hooked on it.  So it's still part of our regular diet.

Your salmon looks really good.  Did it have a smokey taste?  On the gas grill, it doesn't really.  But does have a nice crust, and very moist inside.  My initial thought on the smoker was that it might be a bit dry.
Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

Moscowbni

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 04:03:03 AM »
No I did a dry overnight packing with brown sugar and salt.  Washed it off in the am, dried it and let it rest for about an hour.  Not a huge pellicle formation as I couldn't wait that long.  I used the fish tray that I bought as an option from SI.

Had a great smoked flavor and it was ultra moist.  100 times more moist than if I BBQd it. Great thin crust because of the smoke and light sprinkling of brown sugar I added on top just before smoking.  The sugar didn't make it sweet, just kinda glazed it.

I also used the chip tray to prevent the wood from flashing.

Go for it, it is one of the easier things I've tried so far.