Author Topic: only smoking for an hour for some reason  (Read 3175 times)

MacSmokin

only smoking for an hour for some reason
« on: October 22, 2016, 07:10:13 PM »
I had two reasons to open the door for this cook. One is it stoped smoking after only and hour with6 oz of wood. I've put wood in various places since I've had it and it always burns all the way. Last time I did sausage only the bottom of the wood was scorched after 1-2 hours. Cooking butt and noticed it stopped smoking again. So I opened it and sure enough the wood just stopped smoking at 225• I did notice the element is angered down from back to front but it hasn't been a problem until now. Also when I opened the door and pushed the wood to the back of the fire box it's burning again but it doesn't have the right smell. Could I have ignited the wood. Will it go back to normal? Also for the life of me I can't my maverick to come close to the auber temp. Tried several different placements . One is reading 60 and the Maverick is reading 100. No where near bone.
Justin from New Hampshire
Smokin-it 3D

puddle jumper

Re: only smoking for an hour for some reason
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 07:32:02 AM »
 Can't tell you about the smoke ,maybe moisture in the wood?? but I have noticed mine doing the same thing from time to time,I'm interested to see what everyone else says , but to check you maverick put it in boiling water to see if its reading the correct temp..after that it would seam to be a placement issue..
Hope that helps some..
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 07:32:30 PM »
For me, wood has always burned for about an hour but because the smokers are so tight they retain the smoke in the box unlike conventional smokers that need to roll smoke continuously.  Your mistake with sausage may have been using chunks while using low smoke temp for the sausage.  Chips would be needed for smoking below 200. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:44:26 PM »
Justin, what kind/brand of wood are you using?  And, it wasn't real clear, but I think you were smoking at 225?  A pork butt?  Give us some more details, and we'll try to help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!