Author Topic: Smoked Salmon  (Read 9279 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Smoked Salmon
« on: October 21, 2016, 02:11:30 PM »
I did a really straight forward approach to my smoked salmon this time. Started with 1 part salt to 4 parts brown sugar for the rub and applied it to some fillets I had cut up from Costco. Put the salmon in the curing rub and let it sit over night. Removed in the morning, rinsed, and let it form a pellical. I brushed them with some maple syrup just before smoking. Then into the #2 with 2.5 oz of sugar maple. Set the Auber to 170 and let it run to 138 deg IT on the thickest piece. Only took a little over and hour to get it done and turned out juicy and delicious.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Greenenvey

Re: Smoked Salmon
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »
looks delicious, that's xactly how I smoke our salmon. was your salmon frozen or fresh from Costco?
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 06:30:52 PM »
Yep. That's the way to smoke salmon. Depending on where you live, salmon is mostly "previously-frozen". Even though it appears that it is not frozen at Costco where I live (too far from the coasts), it is not "fresh" salmon from Costco, it is "thawed", though it looks "fresh" in the fish case. I'd be surprised if you were able to get fresh salmon at your Costco in ND Laura. Colorado too. Land-locked, and too far from the source of Costco salmon.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:34:07 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Greenenvey

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 09:54:18 PM »
Yep. That's the way to smoke salmon. Depending on where you live, salmon is mostly "previously-frozen". Even though it appears that it is not frozen at Costco where I live (too far from the coasts), it is not "fresh" salmon from Costco, it is "thawed", though it looks "fresh" in the fish case. I'd be surprised if you were able to get fresh salmon at your Costco in ND Laura. Colorado too. Land-locked, and too far from the source of Costco salmon.
that's kinda what I figured, the reason I ask is we catch out own salmon and smoke it, but come winter when we have already ate all of our fish I sometimes wonder how the salmon that we get that is frozen sepertaly  in a bag at Costco would turn out.
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 01:37:07 AM »
that's kinda what I figured, the reason I ask is we catch out own salmon and smoke it, but come winter when we have already ate all of our fish I sometimes wonder how the salmon that we get that is frozen sepertaly  in a bag at Costco would turn out.

I have smoked the Costco salmon that comes in individually frozen portions in a bag. It turns out fine. My preference though is to buy the whole filets that are not frozen (but were probably previously frozen, not sure though). Over in the meat department next to the other fish. I think it is farm-raised salmon though, so if you are looking for wild, you'll have to go with the portions. Or another local seafood source in your area.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »
The full filets at Costco are farm raised although they did have some wild Kokanee. It didn't say it was previously frozen. Still good.  ;)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Nimrod

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 02:26:20 PM »
Love the simplicity Bob.

Looks like they turned out beautifully too!
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 07:47:09 PM »
Thanks Dave. Sometimes simplicity is what helps the meat shine through.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »
Smoking and then canning is a great way to put up some salmon for Winter.  I put up dozens of jars of Kokanee a year. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
Thanks BedouinBob for the post. I am going to use your method for salmon smoke tomorrow. Will start the brine tonight.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »
You'll love it David.  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Jumanji

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 07:52:45 AM »
I did a really straight forward approach to my smoked salmon this time. Started with 1 part salt to 4 parts brown sugar for the rub and applied it to some fillets I had cut up from Costco. Put the salmon in the curing rub and let it sit over night. Removed in the morning, rinsed, and let it form a pellical. I brushed them with some maple syrup just before smoking. Then into the #2 with 2.5 oz of sugar maple. Set the Auber to 170 and let it run to 138 deg IT on the thickest piece. Only took a little over and hour to get it done and turned out juicy and delicious.

Hey Bob, those look great.  The first picture looks like a dry rub or sorts; what is the second pic?
Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 01:03:31 PM »
Michael, that is the moisture that remains after sitting in the dry rub over night.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

barelfly

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 12:15:14 AM »
Going to use this simple process for my first smoked salmon try. Looking forward to it!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

barelfly

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 02:58:12 PM »
And the finished process. Did a dry brine of 1/4 c kosher and 1c brown sugar over night. Then dried next to a fan for about 4 hours for the pellicle to form. From there, to see what the family enjoyed most, I seasoned a few different ways. #1 was no seasoning, just dry brine and smoke. #2 was brushed with agave syrup. #3 was brushed with agave then a spin off of Arther Bryant rub I made. #4 was S/P only. Family loved it, I really enjoyed this process making the salmon and will do again. I think everyone liked the seasoned filet the most.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear