Author Topic: Prague powder  (Read 6929 times)

MacSmokin

Prague powder
« on: October 14, 2016, 10:12:52 AM »
I made divots port butt brine last night but had no cure on hand. I may be able to get a hold of some by the end of the day. If I plan on putting the butts on at 9-10 tonight can i still use this somehow?
Justin from New Hampshire
Smokin-it 3D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Prague powder
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 10:26:03 AM »
You don't "need" the Prague Powder. The only purpose of this is to give the meat the faux smoke ring. It doesn't add to the flavor profile. So, if you don't have it I would not postpone your smoke.

That being said, you should be able to pick it up at most any reputable butcher in smallish 1oz to 4oz packages. Or even better, I ordered this one from Amazon and will be set for Prague Powder for a LONG time:
https://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Prague-Powder/dp/B008X6KE0E
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:35:56 AM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 01:17:47 PM »
Here's where I buy mine. You can buy smaller amounts, prices are good, and ALL shipping is FREE! I bought the 4 oz, and it seems like it will last a REALLY long time.
https://www.spicejungle.com/curing-salt?nosto=nosto-page-category1
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:47:59 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

MacSmokin

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 03:53:32 PM »
Thank you for the advise. The 2 7.5lb butts have been soaking since 11 last night. I decided to cook them over night sat for the football games. Would it be to salty if I added Prague powder tomorrow and kept it in brine and would it make a difference with those few hours in the new brine? Currently here is 1 1/8cup of kosher salt in 1 gal
Smokin-it 3D

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 04:42:22 PM »
Thank you for the advise. The 2 7.5lb butts have been soaking since 11 last night. I decided to cook them over night sat for the football games. Would it be to salty if I added Prague powder tomorrow and kept it in brine and would it make a difference with those few hours in the new brine? Currently here is 1 1/8cup of kosher salt in 1 gal

The prague powder will not add that much salt to your brine, because it is such a small amount. I would go ahead and add it to your brine. There might not be enough time for it to do much, but it wouldn't hurt either. How long were you planning on brining? Sounds like they've been in for about 14 hours already? Are you putting them in the smoker Friday night (for Saturday games) or Saturday night (for Sunday games)?
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

MacSmokin

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 04:51:16 PM »
Hi Kari,

The cure will be coming on sat afternoon. I will put it immediately and put the butts on that night for sun games . Hoping it arrives by noon so I'll have 9 hours or so. It's will be at the 36 hr brine point when I add he cute and a total of 45. If I wash it thoroughly think I'll be fine?
Smokin-it 3D

SconnieQ

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »
Hi Kari,

The cure will be coming on sat afternoon. I will put it immediately and put the butts on that night for sun games . Hoping it arrives by noon so I'll have 9 hours or so. It's will be at the 36 hr brine point when I add he cute and a total of 45. If I wash it thoroughly think I'll be fine?

That sounds like a long time in the brine. I think DM's butt brine only goes for around 15 hours. Unless you are doing an equilibrium brine... but you mentioned 1-1/8 c salt per 1 gallon water, so doesn't sound like it. I think you will want to take your butts out of the brine today, rinse, and refrigerate until ready to smoke. You can put a low salt or no salt rub on them while they are refrigerated.

Unless I am totally missing some new long butt brining procedure? 45 hours? Are you using this recipe/process?
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 07:54:51 PM »
Justin, 36 hours is WAY too long in that brine!  Pull it out at 12-14 hours, max, rinse thoroughly and wrap for the fridge until just before smoke time.  36 hours will be way too salty!  It's OK to hold it in the fridge, not in the brine.

If you want a smoke ring, rub the meat with Morton's TenderQuick for about 20 minutes before you apply the rub.  You can get this at most grocery store.  Do NOT use your #1 curing salt directly on the meat.  After 20 minutes of TQ, rinse thoroughly, again, and pat dry.  Add your yellow mustard binder and rub, then straight in the smoker.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 12:34:59 AM »
Gregg, the link you gave was for the #2 (for dried meats). I believe what he is going to want is #1 (for cooked meats).
https://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Prague-Powder/dp/B008X6KE0E/ref=pd_bxgy_325_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6VEDVD1VZP3DY2JVYDJY

Here's where I buy mine. You can buy smaller amounts, prices are good, and ALL shipping is FREE! I bought the 4 oz, and it seems like it will last a REALLY long time.
https://www.spicejungle.com/curing-salt?nosto=nosto-page-category1

Dang, you're right!

I had the right one pulled from my order history, and then I saw this one for a cheaper price and didn't notice that is was #2.

Thanks for pointing that out. I updated my post to ensure that the wrong link was not still there.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 01:50:29 AM »
Dang, you're right!

I had the right one pulled from my order history, and then I saw this one for a cheaper price and didn't notice that is was #2.

Thanks for pointing that out. I updated my post to ensure that the wrong link was not still there.

Gregg, I edited my post that follows yours, so there would be no confusion as to why my post says your link is for #2, when it is now for #1.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

MacSmokin

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 07:52:28 AM »
I did order #1 powder. Unfortunetly it's been in the brine forever lol. Just curious if I can save it by removing half the brine liquid and replacing it with the cure / fresh water mixture. Wouldn't that start to pull salt out?
Smokin-it 3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »
I'll go back to Greg's comment.  The cure isn't worth juggling your process for.  Just try it next time. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

MacSmokin

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 11:20:06 AM »
I ended up pulling half the normal brine out and replacing with fresh water and cure. Has anyone done this to try and pull salt out? Also I'm not sure if the added cure will have a chance to absorb because the process would be reversed
Smokin-it 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 03:23:03 PM »
Justin, if it were me, I'd get that butt out of the brine as soon as possible, rinse/wrap & rest in the fridge until smoke time.  Then, mustard/rub/smoke.  You are making it way too complicated.  Try the cure next time - it is NOT essential to a good butt!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 05:10:33 PM »
If you are afraid it might be too salty, you can put it in plain water for a couple hours. That will pull some of the salt out.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:18:39 AM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide