Author Topic: Arby's Pork Belly sandwich  (Read 7978 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Arby's Pork Belly sandwich
« on: October 13, 2016, 12:22:57 AM »
Anybody else here had this? I take a risk that I might be laughed right off of this forum for posting this... I don't eat at fast food joints too often, but had to make a quick stop the other day. Saw a picture of this sandwich on the drive through sign and thought, I'll get it, but I bet it will look nothing like the picture. Big thick slabs of fatty pork belly, hanging out of the bun. But...it looked just like the picture. Probably the best sandwich I've had at any fast food joint, ever. I can't believe this delicious sandwich is from Arby's of all places. Historically, Arby's "meats" could only best be described as "weird", and that's being generous. The thick fat parts of the pork belly melt in your mouth, and the meat parts are tender. Has a smoky taste. 860 calories BTW. My guess is that a lot of the "regular public" who are not familiar with what pork belly actually is, are going to freak out at the fat, take it back, and say "my sandwich is all fatty". But I assure you, it is exactly how pork belly should be. That was a week ago, and I keep thinking I need another one. It's a limited time only menu item, and based on what your average Arby's customer is going to think about the fat, sadly, I doubt it will be back. At least I know I can make it at home with my SI, and I will.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 04:14:30 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

Re: Arby's Pork Belly sandwich
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 10:24:02 AM »
They closed our Arbys here where I live so no can do. I would like to try the pork belly sammich though. Sounds delicious.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

RG

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Me and my Wife split one a couple of weeks ago. I can see the attraction to it but to me it was very underwhelming. It is smokey but it doesn't taste like good smoke, it tastes artificial (chemically). To me, it's a good idea and a departure for most so I commend Arby's for selling it. I agree there will be those that take it back claiming it's too fatty, lol.

There brisket sammy is the same way. There will be those that love it and those that don't. I think the brisket we make on our SIs kill what Arby's has. You'll notice that it's sliced really thin as well. That's what you do to (as Aaron Franklin says it) fake out a bad brisket. You slice it real thin. Again, it's commendable that Arby's is doing this and for a lot of people that normally wouldn't eat or have the chance to eat that type of thing, it's an experience they get to enjoy.
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 12:22:07 PM »
I have never tried their brisket sandwich, just for that reason. I've set the bar pretty high with my own brisket. The pictures of their brisket looked kind of dry. I agree with you on the smoke flavor tasting a little artificial, but I think you are tasting the liquid smoke in the BBQ sauce. Or possibly the "smoked" cheese. I'm not a big fan of their BBQ sauce, and they could leave it off. Supposedly their smokehouse meats are smoked traditionally. Liquid smoke is naturally distilled from actual smoke. I used to think it was some artificial flavoring. The off smoke flavor with liquid smoke usually comes from using too much, because smoke is after all, chemicals. That being said, I pretty much never use it, but I know there are several recipes on this forum that call for it, such as in beans or bbq sauce.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »
I am not opposed to REAL liquid smoke. If done properly it's a good seasoning to use but you have to be careful or it's terrible! I tried the pork belly all by it's lonesome and determined it to be too smokey for my tastes. The SI gives off a cleaner smoke, acts like a seasoning more so than than a predominant presence. As y'all know, I have various smokers/grills and each one behaves differently and provides different smoke flavor profiles. Maybe what Arby's is doing is smoking AND adding liquid smoke when they pack it and ship it. I am quite certain it's a heat in bag and serve deal, kept in a steam table like Taco Bell's meat so it isn't TRUE bbq but as for a fast food national chain, it's pretty good. I hate to say this but I'd still eat a McRib over both of those Arby's sandwiches, lol :P :)
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »
I am not opposed to REAL liquid smoke. If done properly it's a good seasoning to use but you have to be careful or it's terrible! I tried the pork belly all by it's lonesome and determined it to be too smokey for my tastes. The SI gives off a cleaner smoke, acts like a seasoning more so than than a predominant presence. As y'all know, I have various smokers/grills and each one behaves differently and provides different smoke flavor profiles. Maybe what Arby's is doing is smoking AND adding liquid smoke when they pack it and ship it. I am quite certain it's a heat in bag and serve deal, kept in a steam table like Taco Bell's meat so it isn't TRUE bbq but as for a fast food national chain, it's pretty good. I hate to say this but I'd still eat a McRib over both of those Arby's sandwiches, lol :P :)

I only had a McRib once, back in the 80s when it first came out. It was all gristle. Never tried it again. Maybe they have improved/changed. I was going to describe the Pork Belly as a "light" smoke. I also thought it was a pretty clean smoke, so we definitely had different experiences there. (Ate another one today.) I make these exact kind of pork belly slabs all the time, and one of the things I like about them is they are really easy to reheat, and the flavor or texture does not suffer from reheating. I don't think they would be able to hold them in a steam table, or the fat would gradually render out, and the slabs would start to fall apart. My theory is that the belly is smoked and braised until tender. You really need the braising step to get it this tender. Refrigerated until firm, then sliced. That's the way I do mine. I believe that's the way they probably come to the restaurants. Slabs could be heated on demand. They can be easily reheated by a quick blast of steam, or a minute or two per side on a flat top. Both of which would work well in a fast food environment. We'll have to find ourselves an Arby's employee to get the whole story. Arby's corporate will never tell.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 04:09:27 PM »
I was speaking to the brisket on the steam table deal. Who knows on the pork belly? I'll chalk it up to tastes here, I think we all taste things differently. What I perceive as too smokey might not be smokey enough for another. It's all good though! Next time Mickey D's has the McRib, give it a shot. I actually saw a video online on how it's made. It's all good meat, it's not mystery meat. Let me see if I can find it.....hang on........

Here it is! It's one of the guys from Mythbusters, Grant is his name. http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/11/04/mcdonald_s_mcrib_mythbuster_watch_grant_imahara_and_wes_bellamy_see_how.html
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 04:37:57 PM »
I was speaking to the brisket on the steam table deal. Who knows on the pork belly? I'll chalk it up to tastes here, I think we all taste things differently. What I perceive as too smokey might not be smokey enough for another. It's all good though! Next time Mickey D's has the McRib, give it a shot. I actually saw a video online on how it's made. It's all good meat, it's not mystery meat. Let me see if I can find it.....hang on........

Here it is! It's one of the guys from Mythbusters, Grant is his name. http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/11/04/mcdonald_s_mcrib_mythbuster_watch_grant_imahara_and_wes_bellamy_see_how.html

I thought I had heard a rumor that they had reworked the McRib after the original one (which is what I had). It almost makes me gag just thinking about all that gristle. I'll watch the video and see if that will put my urge to upchuck at ease. I am pretty sure they changed it. I once found a "clump" of hair in my Big Mac. :o I used to love Big Macs. Took me 20 years before I had another one. Of course, a clump of hair and some gristle are two different things! ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:01:11 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 04:47:39 PM »
Good Lord! LOL! I am about to gag just thinking about it. I saw on Facebook a story about a KFC serving maggot infested chicken, what's wrong with these people?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:11:25 PM by RG »
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 05:08:47 PM »
mmmm...now you're just making me hungry! :P
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »
Kari, I'm with you!  I've had the "Smoke Mountain" sandwich, which has the belly, turkey, and brisket.  No, it is NOTHING like we can make, but for fast food, it ain't bad!  Sure beats the usual fare of crappy burgers or fake Mexican food.  And sorry, Jason, I wouldn't eat another McRib unless I was in a survival situation...and even then, I would probably opt for what I know works to provide needed protein - grasshoppers and ants. ;)   Most horrible thing I've ever eaten, and that's saying something! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »
Tony, I hope you asked them to hold the mayo!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 09:50:47 PM »
Wow, I guess I am just crazy, lol. The McRib actually has a huge fanbase. There's even a website that shows you where it's being sold :o
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 10:28:16 PM »
I'll try and choke down a McRib in your honor Jason. Only because (up until now anyway :P), I've known you to be a man of discerning tastes. Has to be about 30 years since I've had one. In addition to the gristle, I also recall too much sauce. But as I mentioned, I'm hoping they've more than tinkered with it over the years. I checked out the McRib locator web site, and none in the area (maybe I should be glad). I can always give it to the dog, so win-win, or lose-win, or something like that.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 10:56:49 PM »
Just watched the McRib video. I don't think that helped much. It was pretty unappetizing. Now I'm starting to wonder if you are just pulling my leg Jason. It's ground picnic shoulder, which seems to me will have lots of little chewy bits because that cut has lots of connective tissue. Even ground down fine, I'm skeptical, those tiny bits still need long cooking to be tender. And ground picnic shoulder vs big tender slabs of belly? Don't know... I'll keep an open mind until I get a chance to taste a McRib.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide