Author Topic: new thermometer just announced from Thermoworks! The SMOKE  (Read 14279 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: new thermometer just announced from Thermoworks! The SMOKE
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 07:29:21 AM »
Good to hear!   I am scheduled for delivery on Friday, so this a definite smoking weekend.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 11:43:08 AM »
Very nice looking unit. The probes look good. I wonder if this model will support wi-fi in the future?
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SEAJAMS

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
According to their website: http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke
"COMING 2017 - Smoke Gateway (Wi-Fi) & Smartphone App"

Being a gadget guy, I will be checking it out when available.
Bruce - Chicagoland
Smokin' for over 40 years
SI #4D
80 year old brick stick burner
Multiple Webers,
Rib-O-Lator, Slow-n-Sear
Gadget Guru

drains

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 07:13:45 PM »
Do you think that the wifi and app would be compatible with this model or have to buy another newer model in 2017 that has wifi capability?
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 08:46:11 PM »
Do you think that the wifi and app would be compatible with this model or have to buy another newer model in 2017 that has wifi capability?

My understanding from reading this earlier was that the WIFI would be an add on piece that would work with the Smoke module. I think even after the WIFI add on is released it is just that and you would still need to buy the Smoke thermometer. I am sure that they will have a combo of some sort though.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

drains

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 09:36:47 PM »
"My understanding from reading this earlier was that the WIFI would be an add on piece that would work with the Smoke module. I think even after the WIFI add on is released it is just that and you would still need to buy the Smoke thermometer. I am sure that they will have a combo of some sort though."

Yea I just wouldn't want to jump in and then uh oh if you want wifi then you have to buy a whole new unit that has that capability, sorry you should have waited. My maverick is still going strong, its monitoring 2 pork butts as I type this, but I know it wont last forever and there are several new options coming online shortly. This seems like a solid choice though. Cant argue with the quality coming from thermoworks either.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 09:33:53 PM »
The Fireboard already has Bluetooth, WiFi, cloud support with app & graphing, and will be available this week.  Plus, 6 available meat probes.  Just throwing it out as an option.  ;)   I know I'm sure satisfied with its performance!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Greenenvey

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 10:27:39 PM »
The Fireboard already has Bluetooth, WiFi, cloud support with app & graphing, and will be available this week.  Plus, 6 available meat probes.  Just throwing it out as an option.  ;)   I know I'm sure satisfied with its performance!
did you already get one to use tony? I'm interested it it.
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

drains

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 10:12:56 AM »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Greenenvey

Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Greenenvey

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 11:02:54 AM »
while I'm waiting for the meater to hit the market, ive decided to order the smoke today. I'm tired of getting out of bed and looking at temps on the smoker lol. it will be nice to just be able to glance at the temp from bed! expecially since for some reason everthing I cook likes to finish in the middle of the night lol.
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

G man

• Gordon Radford Photography
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »
Ordered one for $89.00 and this is a great, easy to use unit.  Very high quality, and simple to use.  No need to look at a manual.  The wireless receiver connects very easily.   Does it have wifi?  No, and I don't care.  I really do not want a thermometer dependent on my phone.  Much rather have a dedicated receiver.  Highly recommend.  And now I know about all the temperature swings of the Model 2! 
Gordo
50 Miles West of St. Louis, Misery
#2,  and Master Forge Big Green Vertical Charcoal Smoker, (it is now for sale!)

1stlink

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »
Do any have regrets, comments on "The Smoke"? My Mav is dying/dead and needs to be replaced.

"Meater" has a great concept but not ready yet.

"Fireboard" WiFi ready is very new product/company $189 (nice review Tony)

"Smoke" ($99) (RF, WiFi optional mid-'17 $89) although new is from a proven source (Thermoworks). I already use a Thermapen and ChefAlarm which are both quality units so I'm more inclined to go this route.

Comments welcome..  ???

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »
I have the Smoke and have used it several times.  I love the sturdier probes over the Maverick.   No regrets on the purchase, but I will note that the range for the remote is not as wide as the Maverick.  Not an issue for me, though.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

1stlink

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 05:38:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Steve.. Range isn't an issue here either and Thermoworks has a stellar rep!