Author Topic: Thicker white/grey smoke for the first 30 min  (Read 2803 times)

MacSmokin

Thicker white/grey smoke for the first 30 min
« on: October 01, 2016, 08:58:24 AM »
This morning on my second smoke on my new 3d. I watched the smoke more closely. First smoke came out great with a 2.8 oz hickory chunk that steve included. Little much for a single rack of bbs . This new rack I decided to do two small chunks. One apple and the other cherry . Webber chucks is all I had so I foiled the bottom to avoid combustion. I noticed in the first 30-45 min the smoke was a thicker white/grey. Not necessarily billowing but heavier than it is now. Is this common while the element is going full bore getting to temp? Now it's thin and blue/white which is great. Wondering if the smoke at the beginning will kill he flavor
Justin from New Hampshire
Smokin-it 3D

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Thicker white/grey smoke for the first 30 min
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:27:25 AM »
The thicker smoke in the beginning is normal, and then the smoke tapers off after the first heating cycle.   If you didn't see and "belches" of smoke, then you probably did not have combustion of the wood.   Over  the years of using my #2, I have not noticed any issues with the taste of the meat.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

MacSmokin

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
Thanks steve ,

Would a belch consist of black smoker or just thick white smoke?
Justin from New Hampshire
Smokin-it 3D

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 11:15:33 AM »
The "belch" is a huge exhaust of smoke...if you were watching the SI during the first heating cycle (until the light turns off), you would know if it belched.   The sound of it is quite scary!   For me, I would typically see the belch when the SI gets to around 180F, and it only happens on the first cycle.  Since I have switch to smokinlicious wood, I have not had a belch.  Good wood with a high moisture content is the key to avoiding the belch.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 10:17:14 PM »
Justin, what you had sounds normal.  If you have combustion, the smoke is much more gray, and you can tell the difference in the smell. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!