Author Topic: The Fireboard remote thermometer, with Bluetooth, WiFi and Cloud Support  (Read 36910 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: The Fireboard remote thermometer, with Bluetooth, WiFi and Cloud Support
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 04:15:51 PM »
I'm new to the forum.  Had my model #2 for about a month with great results.  Really enjoyed using it.  I'm very curious about this thermometer.  I do need a new one or at least tell myself I do.  I've been getting by the last few weeks on simple thermometers I already had, but would like to upgrade to something with remote capabilities, multiple ports, etc.  I'm curious on everyone's thoughts.  Is this something I should wait on for release and production and bide my time with what I currently have, or should I just put down for a Maverick 732 or 733 and call it a day.  I guess I could always upgrade down the road, but not really wanting to spend a ton of money for multiple thermometers.  Plus the wife will start asking why we have 4 or 5 different ones when we currently have 3.  Appreciate any direction.

The Fireboard looks like an excellent new thermometer with some cool features. But, I would encourage you to at least check out "The Meater" before making a purchasing decision. I think you will find that they both have their pros and cons of which only you can decide which of them are more important to you. I went all in on "The Meater" when it was in its KickStarter phase by ordering a Meater Block with 4 probes.

They are tentatively set to start shipping the first batches of the single Meaters for KickStarter backers in November 2016 and hopefully soon after for The Meater Blocks, with "estimated" December 2016 for single Meaters and "Estimated" January 2017 for The Meater Blocks for the pre-orders that are currently being submitted (according to their website). I got in on the initial KickStarter campaign and have been patiently waiting for "The Meater" to start shipping because I see this as a truly revolutionary product (completely wireless, really?) that does not have any true competitors.

Personally (others can correct me if I am miscategorizing), I see the Fireboard product as more of a new take on a thermometer product that has some like products  (Tappeque, Thermoworks, etc) already out there that appears to be of very high quality and value compared to many of its direct competitors.

Admittedly, because "The Meater" is such a revolutionary product, there is probably a little more risk involved with The Meater than there is for the Fireboard product. But, I was willing to take that risk in hopes of the high reward outcome. Again, this is something you need to research and decide which of these or other options is the right one for you.

In an attempt to not hijack this thread further, I would recommend either creating a new thread topic or add on to the current The Meater (wireless meat thermometers) - Kickstarter project thread that has already been created with any Meater related questions.

This all being said, there is nothing wrong with going with an ever popular Maverick ET-732 or ET-733 if that is all you can afford or are willing to spend on a thermometer at this time. I have a Maverick ET-733 and am very happy with it especially after replacing the standard probes with waterproof probes. Admittedly, I probably didn't take care of my OEM probes (likely got them wet) that came with the ET-733, which is why my probes started acting up and eventually quit working. I have had excellent luck with my new waterproof probes and still try not to get them wet as I am guessing that in reality they should be considered more water resistant than waterproof.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 09:44:52 PM »
Gregg, I appreciate that you are "all in" on the Meater; it will be a great product, if it ever comes to fruition.  It is a radical concept, and I wish them the best!  As I mentioned on Kari's post, if it is ever actually delivered, and if it proves to work out, over time, I will be an owner!  But, I just can't help but take a "wait and see" approach to this.  In the interim, I'll stick with wires and smoke some Q. ;)

I hear you, about recommending to go with a basic Maverick and wait for the Meater.  Good recommendation, for those that are also willing to wait and bet on an unknown.  You currently have temp monitoring covered, but others may not.  For those that want graphing, WiFi, Bluetooth, and accuracy soon, why not go with something like the Fireboard, that will be available this month?  I will be surprised if the Jan '17 date isn't pushed back again, with Meater.  I'm afraid we'll be relying on wires for awhile longer, so why not get the "best" wires available?  At least, until the wireless technology is proven?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »
Gregg, I appreciate that you are "all in" on the Meater; it will be a great product, if it ever comes to fruition.  It is a radical concept, and I wish them the best!  As I mentioned on Kari's post, if it is ever actually delivered, and if it proves to work out, over time, I will be an owner!  But, I just can't help but take a "wait and see" approach to this.  In the interim, I'll stick with wires and smoke some Q. ;)

I hear you, about recommending to go with a basic Maverick and wait for the Meater.  Good recommendation, for those that are also willing to wait and bet on an unknown.  You currently have temp monitoring covered, but others may not.  For those that want graphing, WiFi, Bluetooth, and accuracy soon, why not go with something like the Fireboard, that will be available this month?  I will be surprised if the Jan '17 date isn't pushed back again, with Meater.  I'm afraid we'll be relying on wires for awhile longer, so why not get the "best" wires available?  At least, until the wireless technology is proven?

I can't argue with anything you said here. I think it WILL happen, but tend to agree that it is quite possible that the dates could get pushed again, and there still is a gamble on how good The Meater will be. It is not inconceivable that I end up with a Fireboard some day too. But, I think I'll hold out for a bit longer with cautious optimism that The  Meater will be all that has been promised.

Best of luck to all these new products!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

aswails

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 02:07:17 PM »
After looking at the Meater, I think I'll have to take the wait and see approach as well.  Great concept and great looking product.  I hope it works.  I'm comfortable being wired in for now.  Is there a target ship date?  I didn't actually see one for it.
Adrian
Houston, TX

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 03:30:15 PM »
After looking at the Meater, I think I'll have to take the wait and see approach as well.  Great concept and great looking product.  I hope it works.  I'm comfortable being wired in for now.  Is there a target ship date?  I didn't actually see one for it.

There is a bit of a gamble with The Meater I will grant you that. But, there is a high reward for the risk. If you have a thermometer to use now, you could hold off and do a wait and see. Or get a wired model and see how it goes.

Estimated ship dates are currently set for November 2016 for the single Meater Probes and most likely December for the 4-Probe Meater blocks for the initial backers. If you click the Pre-Order button, scroll down to the available packages that you can pre-order right now, and then you will see that they are estimating December 2016 for the single Meater probes and January 2017 for the 4-probe Meater blocks.

But, like Kari said, they have been pushing the dates a little bit all the way along rather than trying to overestimate and then deliver prior to the estimate. This is what I would typically try to do. I think it is pretty safe to say that they should be shipping sometime in Q1.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 08:36:59 PM »

+1.  As I've repeatedly said, I love the concept, and hope it works out well!  I'm just a skeptic, when it comes to new technology...been burned WAY too many times, in all my trips around the sun, falling for promises that have yet to be delivered.  I will be watching from afar, though! ;)   
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

aswails

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »
DM,  Wondering if you have continued to use the Fireboard?  If so, thoughts after some time with it?  I know they are supposed to start shipping production perhaps this month or next.  This is something I'd like to pull the trigger on, just haven't really seen much in ways of reviews online or with any other source other than you.

Didn't know if you thoughts improved with time, stayed the same or perhaps came across some reservations.

Thanks
Adrian
Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 08:56:20 PM »
Yes, I've used it much more, and like it just as much!  They have improved the app to have zoom on the charts, so you can really see temps and times much better.  They are on-pace, and are working hard to add improvements (like a case and stand).  Good thermo!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Ralf

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »
Do you have a to pay a subscription to use this cloud or app?
Thanks.
Chad-- Sioux Falls, SD
#2 Owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 07:38:40 PM »
Do you have a to pay a subscription to use this cloud or app?
Thanks.

No - the app & Cloud support are free!
Tony from NW Arkansas

TexasSMK

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 08:29:56 AM »
Thanks for the review Tony, sounds like a good product.  Now I have to find a Tomahawk Steak ;D
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

jpowell

• facebook
Any final thoughts on this unit before I put this on my father's day wish list? :-)
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Haven't heard much on this since Tony went on hiatus.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Buck

The Meater looks awesome!

I have suffered backing a few KS projects that never delivered and some that never even communicated.  At least it seems the folks at Meater are updating you on progress.

If reviews are positive once KS folks get their units I will probly buy one once it becomes available on Amazon....probably 2018 at this point.
Buck
Chicago, IL

jpowell

• facebook
Purchased a Fireboard after sitting on the fence about it for months. I'll post my review this weekend when I do 4 butts.
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana