Author Topic: Bear Ribs in my 3-D  (Read 3607 times)

kona77

Bear Ribs in my 3-D
« on: September 18, 2016, 09:54:22 PM »
 I was fortunate enough to harvest a black bear last week and I made a slab of ribs in my 3-D. Used a molasses base with Memphis dust. Ribs were similar to a good slab of St Louis so I smoked them with a rack of pork ribs. Smoked at 235 for 6.5 hours and the both ribs turned out great. Bear is a lot closer to beef in taste and texture and they did not last long in deer camp this week   
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

flying smoker

Re: Bear Ribs in my 3-D
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:51:08 PM »
Looks great Gene!  Thanks for sharing.  I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to try bear meat.
Deron from SW Tennessee

SI 2
Weber Spirit
Maverick ET-733

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 09:31:57 PM »
Wow!  I think you've broken new BBQ ground here, Gene!  Would love to see some pics of some of your bear meat smokes, cut!  I've never had it, but would love to see it.  Nice job!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kona77

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 11:11:17 PM »
 Tony-  I should have taken some more photo's with the meat cut. The actual bear ribs are thinner than pork, beef or venison. Did some research on-line and found a few recipes but most called for a combination of smoking and finishing in the oven. The bear ribs bones were as clean as the pork ribs when we pulled the meat off the bone and they definitely had a unique flavor that was not at all
"gamey".  Have another rack in the freezer and will take some more pictures when I make them

Marinated the inside tenderloins for a couple of days and just seared the loins in butter and garlic over a gas range. Those did not last long. Kept some of the better roasts and will look for recipes. Balance will be ground for burger and sausage/brats.   

Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 01:53:54 PM »
Wow Gene, those look great. Congratulations on the harvest too!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »
Awesome, Gene!  Looking forward to it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!